gap between coping and tiles. coping cracks

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
What product should I use to fill the gap between the coping and tile? This gap is in multiple places, but only on one side of the pool but not the other.

Also, what's the reason coping falling apart like this? Is there a way to prevent it from failing apart? How long do I have until I have to replace it and what cost am I looking at? And again, this is on the same side of the pool were the gap is, not the other.

I used to have a larger gap up to 1" between coping and deck on the same side where I have these issues now. I filled it with vulkem 45 a couple years ago, but wonder if that contributed to this issue

I'm in northeast and the last winter was the coldest I've seen in last 20 years, but these issues started a few years ago.

Thanks

View attachment 31179

Cracks in the coping are from the deck joint leaking water. Water gets into the area between pool deck and the coping and freeze/thaw cycle heaves against the coping cracking it. If things aren't too bad yet you could cut out the deck-joint sealant with a multi-tool and replace it to get a few more years out of it. It will also cause tile to pop off as it gets worse.

Ii have this same issue and the same type of coping........but I live in Central Florida so it's pretty unlikely freeze and thaw is my issue. I am in the process of acid washing and wire brush scrubbing my tile to do a re-grout for now and am going to attempt cramming grout in the separation from the pool wall to the coping on the water side. My local pool store has grout for $4.99 and two boxes of it will more than do my entire tile line. Haven't decided what I'm going to try for the deck side cracks yet. Probably the same process only using bagged concrete instead of grout. I'll let you know how it turns out for me and please let us know what you decide to do for your temporary fix. I just don't have the $$ right now for a total redo of the pool. Re surfacing is about $3500 in my area and I have no idea what repairing the coping and deck would be. Almost afraid to ask.
Good Luck Nikon!

Are you saying cracks are definitely coming from the inside and not the outside? I was hoping there is a product that I could apply to the coping, like an invisible sealant or something.

The sealant I used for the joint is holding up pretty well there, with maybe very tiny holes in some places. Right now it's like a channel, so the water that gets there stays there and may find those tiny holes.

If I use some thinner will the existing sealer seal those tiny holes or it won't stick anymore?
I was thinking of using thinner and then Vulkem 45 SL\ssl on top to level it with the deck and coping surface so the water doesn't stay there.

Hi Nikon,
I am not as experienced as other people here. I can only tell you what I've done and how it's working out. I googled under water adhesives and found several products that have video on how to use on you tube. That gave me ideas on how to fix my problems. Home depot sells a pool patch that i also found by googling. The leslie's you refer to looks like a decent price though.

I used "Tile and Plaster repair" (white cement compound) to fill gaps between tile and cooping and it worked great. Not sure how different it is from Leslie's product, cost about $23 for 5lb

I want to use it to fill the gaps between copings and cracks in copings itself, but how do I match the light brown\sand color?

Thanks

P.S. I couldn't find any pool products at local home depot. They advised a couple products, but I decided to pay a little extra for a pool store product.

Nikon5400:

I would watch this closely this winter. Does the deck get wet and freeze or is the source of water under the deck or behind the wall. If the water source is not the pool you need that before you do a final repair

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my backyard is a hill they raised the ground to build this pool.
I suspect my deck is moving. I started getting cracks in my deck, my fense posts moved and now 2nd fence section came off with one about 1-2inches short and couple other sections are about to come off.

I don't know how inground pools are built and I hope I won't start getting cracks in it. pool is about 10 years old now, but I think fence was all intact 2-3 years ago (although I didn't pay close attention to this fence until 2nd section came off). I should have tried to fix the 2nd section right away as I think sections when attached keep posts in place. The posts are in concrete, about 2-3 ft away from deck and then I have a stone wall from the deck level to the ground with little stones between the deck and the wall(can't add another picture here to show)

I believe one way to fix it is to make holes in the deck and and poor concrete under pressure to build stronger foundation. Not sure what the cost would be to do something like that.

I had a space between 0.5" to 1 or maybe a little bigger between coping and the deck that was never sealed. I filled it with backer rod and vulkem back in 2011 and it's still holding on with maybe 5% of the area that can need to be re-done.

I don't know any of the above can relate to the cracks I have in coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.