Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cant get FC reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry cant get FC reading

I have read and read about this but still cannot get my FC up.
    I have added water and waited until the combined has lowered to almost nothing but no matter how many gallons of bleach I add I cannot get a FC reading.
    I really feel stupid since I dont understand the wonderful charts provided on this site.
    Please help me
    The water is crystal clear and all readings are good with the exception of FC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cant get FC reading

Welcome to TFP!!!

Post up a full set of test results and tell us how you got them and please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

fc 0
    combined .5
    alk 130
    ph 7.6
    total hardness 200
    cya 60

I have read and added bleach but really dont fully understand the Slamming process

12,000 vinyl with de filter,

Water is crystal clear

4. Back To Top    #4

The key cycle when SLAMing is to add chlorine, give it time to mix in, test the FC level, and if it isn't up to SLAM level (based on CYA level) add more chlorine, and repeat.

With CYA at 60, your target is an FC level of 24. Since your FC level is zero, you need to add 24 ppm of chlorine, which in your pool is roughly 3.5 gallons of 8.25% bleach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    fc 0
    combined .5
    alk 130
    ph 7.6
    total hardness 200
    cya 60

I have read and added bleach but really dont fully understand the Slamming process

12,000 vinyl with de filter,

Water is crystal clear
    You still haven't said where you got those results... certain tests bleach out at high chlorine levels and read falsely low. That's why we ask.

The Shock Level and Maintain process is really not that complicated. Shock level is a FC level that is high enough to kill algae faster than it can reproduce, but not so high it can damage the pool. With CYA of 60, shock level FC needs to be 24. The Maintain part is keep it there. Plug your FC reading into poolmath as "now" and set 24 as "target" and add the appropriate amount of whatever strength bleach you have. In an hour or two, test FC again. Plug that number into "Now", keep 24 as target, and do it again. Eventually, the FC loss will start to slow down and you will need less and less bleach each time. And by then, it should make sense when you read the SLAM directions again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am using the Insta 6 test strips
    Also if not noted on a bottle of bleach is there a method of telling strength ?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I am using the Insta 6 test strips
    Also if not noted on a bottle of bleach is there a method of telling strength ?
    Strips don't cut it. Check out this recent thread on the subject: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ps-do-not-What

And before you ask what you should get instead: a TF100 or a K-2006.

As for bleach strength, if they're ashamed to tell you how low it is, don't buy it. It's just expensive water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!