Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA help

1. Back To Top    #1

Bucyrus, Ohio

CYA help

Well I still have a crystal clear pool which is a miracle for me considering I havent seen the bottom of my pool in almost a year. But my question is about CYA. I added 22 oz about 2 weeks ago and got a reading of 37ppms. Problem: I can hold chlorine all nite but from the time the sun hits it and evening falls..I go from 5ppms to .5ppms, do I add more CYA at this time? Other question is...I have read and used the sock method but I see where some are saying put it(sock) in skimmer and others say infront of the return, does it matter and is one way better than other?
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: CYA help

With CYA at 37 I would only expect you to lose about 60% of your FC to sunlight each day. How are you measuring CYA? Some of the tests are rather imprecise.

Unless you know that you are going to have to backwash/clean the filter in the next week it is simplest to pour CYA slowly directly into the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: CYA help

I would go ahead and try adding some more CYA.... if it's a sand filter and pressure is an issue use the sock method. Go ahead and shot for 50ppm. In some areas pools do better at the higher end of the CYA range, when weather is more of a factor (full sun, etc.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner