Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bill from NY

1. Back To Top    #1

Bill from NY

Hello all

I've recently bought a pool which just so happened to come with a house (really starting to feel that way). My fiance thought it would be nice to keep since we have a big family with lots of kids, so I'm trying to learn all I can. This forum has been a huge help and I'm using the BBB method.

The pool itself was in horrid shape. "covered" for two years, blacker then coal, and without anything except an old sand filter.

20,000 gallon 28ft above ground
    1 skimmer (Hayward) 1 return
    1 1/2 hp Hayward Power Flo pump (the one without an on/off switch)
    Hayward 180t Sand Filter with brand new valves (old one wouldn't even turn)

Current levels
    FC over 5.0 (my kit test tube only goes to 5, but my ball park strip test shows 20 so guessing somewhere between)
    CC same as above.
    TA 80
    CYA 90 (I've been draining to skimmer bottom and refilling to lower the level slowly)
    PH 7.2 (having a **** of a time getting it raised to 7.5)

I'm a big outdoors guy and cook so the deal was if I get this pool running I get to build me backyard brick oven! Let make it happen folks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bill from NY

Welcome to TFP!

Good to see that you are wanting to get things done, and make that pool sparkle.

You might want to check outthis section of Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

The kits shown there will test to 50ppm, with amazing accuracy.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

A good test kit that we recommend is your best friend in helping you obtain that brick BBQ! Impossible to accurately maintain SLAM level without the fas-dpd chlorine test. No way to know what your true CC level is either with the one you have. You'll be much better off dropping that cya level with a larger water exchange than a couple inches at a time. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I actually printed out the Pool School and bound it to keep as a reference book. Has stopped a couple of missteps so far.

Hopefully have a better kit soon

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably a dumb question, but I figure I'd throw it out here. Should I drain the pool if it starts over flowing from the skimmer lid? Its above ground and there isn't a separate drain.

Figure I could throw the filter to waste and "pump" out enough after the rain ends.
    20,000 gallon 28 ft above ground pool vinyl
    Hayward 1 1/2 hp Power Flo LX
    Hayward 180T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, do drain off extra water by whatever method works for your pool. It should be about 1/2 way up the skimmer opening.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

You will do so much better with the investment of the TF100 test kit. It is the number one tool you will use every day of the summer. Without it, everything is a guessing game.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter