Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Generator question

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Generator question

How can I test if my salt generator is working?Pool water looks ok but weekly service tec said he didnt think it was working?Thanks..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Generator question

Most units have some kind of diagnostic display, which can be checked. At the very least there will be an error light if something major is wrong, though there can still be milder problems that won't always light that light.

The simplest test is to see if there is any chlorine in the water. If there is, it presumably came from the SWG. There are also slightly more complex ways to measure the chlorine output from the unit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What are your chemical readings from the weekly pool service? Is the salt at the correct level recommended for your SWG?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

A couple of quick checks I use include looking for a steady stream of very small bubbles coming out of a return, if the bubbles are there the cell is generating, also you can capture a water sample right in the return stream and test the chlorine level, it should be higher than the pools overall level. In both cases make sure your SWG shows the cell is on before checking, if not on I bump my output to 100% while checking the SWG then return it back to the previous level once done.
    18x36 IG Vinyl, ~25K, TF-100, Jandy 1HP 2 Speed Pump, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG,
    Hayward DE 3600 Filter, Pentair MasterTemp 200 NG Heater, DIY Install in 1990

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I never have any tiny air bubbles coming from my SWG.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,