How could it hurt??

pnovak

Jun 27, 2014
Glastonbury, Ct.
What damage might I cause to my gunite pool by putting 4 gallons of shock into my 32,000 gal pool WITHOUT
running my filter??

Before the start of this season, I shocked my pool as I would normally when I open it. I put in 3-4 gallons of shock
into my green mucky pool a month or so before I intended to open it, thinking that much of my time during an opening
is spent filtering and waiting.

When I did open it, I had much green algae on the bottom of the pool, with ~relatively clear water above. I
vacuumed the bottom, getting all of the algae out in 2 separate vacuumings, proceeded to get my ph right
etc. and had my pool open, clean and balanced in 2 or 3 days rather than the usual week or more.

So. How could this hurt? I can't think of any downside, but I'm not a chemist.

You don't want to dump bleach without circulating the water. Bleach is heavier than water and it will sit on the bottom of the pool in spots. It could discolor the finish if left there, just like algae can stain the pool if left on the bottom. Taking care of the pool using TFPC will guarantee you a clean and clear pool every year, start of season to close and close of season to start if you follow it. If you end up with a green mess, you did not follow the care plan as outlined in Pool School. We never recommend you dumping liquid bleach on any surface and not running the filter to circulate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.