Pool Pilot DIG-220 only working in reverse?

Jun 27, 2014
San Tan Valley
So recently my AutoPilot/Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220 sated acting funny. I am getting the "Warning - Low Amps - Cell?" warning with the flashing red light. I have read through as many threads on here as possible but dont really find one addressing my issue. I ran the built in test during BOOST Mode and came up with these numbers:

Wired at 220V
Pump Button says "EXTERNAL PUMP"
Software 4.02 ver
Temp 89F
SC-36
Power Level 2
Salt 3800
28V 1.7amps

I then went back to reading forums here for a while and then went back out and the flashing red light was off. Still in BOOST Mode, so I ran the test again and came up with:

Software 4.02 ver
Temp 89F
SC-36
Power Level 2
Salt 3800
29V 6.0 amps

Now getting my curiosity up, I drilled through the menus and selected a "FORCE REVERSE" and immediately the red light started flashing with the ""Warning - Low Amps - Cell?"
I decided to pull the cover and open up the unit up to look at the capacitors as many others have done and the 3 in the upper left of the board are all bulging and it also appears that booth the fans have stopped working as well, I tried tapping on them and one actually came back on for a few seconds and then stopped again.

The unit is just over 8 years old and I'm afraid it my have hit it's life end, any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

If the cell works in one direction the control box must be working correctly despite the bulging capacitors. Power supply problems would affect both forward and reverse.

This kind of issue usually only shows up when the cell is starting to fail. One side (forward/reverse) can fail shortly before the other side. It is very plausible that the cell may be wearing out after eight years.

Thanks for the warm welcome......

the cell is not the original, I have had to replace it several times over the life of the system so far. We have really hard water here in AZ and no matter what I do the cell clogs up within 2-3 days and has to be cleaned, which I'm sure leads to a shortened lifespan of the cell.

Is there any other testing I can perform that you may know of to rule out the power module or control board? I have another cell, I will swap them out and see what reading I come up with and post them here in the meantime. I know the fans will also need to be replaced since they were not working when I pulled off the cover.

So I went out and ran another test and re-verified the numbers for "Cell 1" (29V, 7.0A and then 28v, 1.8A when I performed a "Forced Reverse" of the Cell with all other numbers same as original post and in BOOST Mode.

So then I swapped out Salt Cells (Cell #2) with an extra one I have and ran the same tests as above and got:

wired at 220V
In BOOST Mode
Pump Button says "EXTERNAL PUMP"
Software ver 4.02
Temp 86F
SC-36
Power Level 2
Salt 3800
29V, 6.3A

But when I performed a "Forced Revers" of the cell the Red light came on and message "WARNING! LOW AMPS - CELL?"
with a test reading of
28V, 2.6A

So yes, 2 different Cells that both stop working when the polarity to the cell is reversed.
So do you think it's just a coincidence? Or could it be a different problem like with the Power Board or something? Any other tests I can perform to help troubleshoot the system and/or salt cells to help figure this out?

Thanks in advance for any insight and help you can provide.

Van

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.