Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pilot DIG-220 only working in reverse?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pilot DIG-220 only working in reverse?

So recently my AutoPilot/Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220 sated acting funny. I am getting the "Warning - Low Amps - Cell?" warning with the flashing red light. I have read through as many threads on here as possible but dont really find one addressing my issue. I ran the built in test during BOOST Mode and came up with these numbers:

Wired at 220V
    Pump Button says "EXTERNAL PUMP"
    Software 4.02 ver
    Temp 89F
    SC-36
    Power Level 2
    Salt 3800
    28V 1.7amps

I then went back to reading forums here for a while and then went back out and the flashing red light was off. Still in BOOST Mode, so I ran the test again and came up with:

Software 4.02 ver
    Temp 89F
    SC-36
    Power Level 2
    Salt 3800
    29V 6.0 amps

Now getting my curiosity up, I drilled through the menus and selected a "FORCE REVERSE" and immediately the red light started flashing with the ""Warning - Low Amps - Cell?"
    I decided to pull the cover and open up the unit up to look at the capacitors as many others have done and the 3 in the upper left of the board are all bulging and it also appears that booth the fans have stopped working as well, I tried tapping on them and one actually came back on for a few seconds and then stopped again.

The unit is just over 8 years old and I'm afraid it my have hit it's life end, any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pilot DIG-220 only working in reverse?

Welcome to TFP!

If the cell works in one direction the control box must be working correctly despite the bulging capacitors. Power supply problems would affect both forward and reverse.

This kind of issue usually only shows up when the cell is starting to fail. One side (forward/reverse) can fail shortly before the other side. It is very plausible that the cell may be wearing out after eight years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the warm welcome......

the cell is not the original, I have had to replace it several times over the life of the system so far. We have really hard water here in AZ and no matter what I do the cell clogs up within 2-3 days and has to be cleaned, which I'm sure leads to a shortened lifespan of the cell.

Is there any other testing I can perform that you may know of to rule out the power module or control board? I have another cell, I will swap them out and see what reading I come up with and post them here in the meantime. I know the fans will also need to be replaced since they were not working when I pulled off the cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

So I went out and ran another test and re-verified the numbers for "Cell 1" (29V, 7.0A and then 28v, 1.8A when I performed a "Forced Reverse" of the Cell with all other numbers same as original post and in BOOST Mode.

So then I swapped out Salt Cells (Cell #2) with an extra one I have and ran the same tests as above and got:

wired at 220V
    In BOOST Mode
    Pump Button says "EXTERNAL PUMP"
    Software ver 4.02
    Temp 86F
    SC-36
    Power Level 2
    Salt 3800
    29V, 6.3A

But when I performed a "Forced Revers" of the cell the Red light came on and message "WARNING! LOW AMPS - CELL?"
    with a test reading of
    28V, 2.6A

So yes, 2 different Cells that both stop working when the polarity to the cell is reversed.
    So do you think it's just a coincidence? Or could it be a different problem like with the Power Board or something? Any other tests I can perform to help troubleshoot the system and/or salt cells to help figure this out?

Thanks in advance for any insight and help you can provide.

Van

5. Back To Top    #5

When you force reverse, you need to give the voltage/current time to stabilize. The unit will ramp up the voltage over a minute or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School