Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaving solar cover on for 10 days straight

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaving solar cover on for 10 days straight

Recently my family and I were sick and were busy and didn't use the pool for 10 days. I left the solar cover on for 10 days straight. Its one of those blue bubble ones. I did run my filter and saltwater pump. The pool was fine when I took the cover off to go in. Nice and warm, absorbed the sun very very well.

Is there any downside I may be missing in leaving a solar cover on for an extended period like that. I usually leave the cover on for 3-4 days in a row if we aren't using it. My kids and I like a warm pool.

Just curious if things could be festering that I don't see like algae or something. My levels were all perfect when I tested after 10 days.
    Gallons: 3500 Gallons
    Pool: Intex 14'x42" Round Metal Frame
    Filter: 1000 GPH Cartridge Filter (Came with pool)
    Using Intex Saltwater Generator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Leaving solar cover on for 10 days straight

I've had mine on since early April. We are on water restrictions so I have to keep evaporation at a minimum or I could face fines. Anyway algae can start up a bit easier with the cover on so it is important to keep an eye on the FC level and make sure it does not dip. And of course try to take the cover off once and while if possible and brush the pool walls which helps keep algae in check. Don't forget the top of the cover too. I find if I neglect that too long, algae can start growing on the top.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

I leave mine on from October to April. Really cuts the chlorine consumption.

Leaving it on for several days did you see a greater overall temperature gain?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

You might want to check if the CC's have raised. When I leave the cover on for a few days my pool will usually show .5 CC's but will drop back down to 0 in a day or so. Just keep an eye on it as the temp should be raising all summer long and that might lead to more problems than during the winter months.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process