Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shigella and Pool Party

1. Back To Top    #1

Shigella and Pool Party

About to have a pool party. Kids from 4 different daycare centers will be in attendance. An hour ago the local Health Department sent out a shotgun notice to all daycares that our fair city (or perhaps nation?) is experiencing an outbreak of Shigella and reminding centers to report illness, how to clean, etc. Of course, I have no reason to believe any kid that will be here in the next hour has Shigella or has been exposed to it -- BUT, if I wanted to bump my FC "just in case," what level should I shoot for . . . . my CYA is 30 to 40 and my current FC is 5, pH is 7.5. Thanks in advance for any info. Chem Geek, I searched for the answer but did not find it in layman's terms on TFP or Google -- sorry if I missed it.
    Last edited by crek31; 06-27-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added pH value
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shigella and Pool Party

You can safely swim up to shock level for your FC, so you have a lot of room to boost the FC. No idea what would be required for your current concern though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldnt know what to specifically bump it to either, but 4 daycares full of kits is a lot of kids if you ask me. If it were me, I would bump it up to a couple ppms shy of SLAM level, just in case I needed it. You never know what a kid, especially daycare age, is gonna do.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

As shown in this link and this link it takes a very low chlorine level to kill the Shigella bacteria. There are two strains, but the more common one is Shigella dysenteriae which would be 99.9% killed in around a minute at the chlorine levels we recommend. The more resistant strain Shigella sonnei will be 99% killed in around 8 minutes -- still far faster than it can reproduce (i.e. 50% killed every 75 seconds).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you, Chem Geek. That is the info I was after. And, there were only six kids total, but representing 4 daycares (i.e., 4 places to have been exposed).
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska