Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is attached to my pool timer?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Weston, FL

What is attached to my pool timer?

Newbie here,
    Just moved to a home with a pool and a failed Intermatic pool timer. Installed a new one myself. 220 Volt model T104M. It's working great. The old (broken) timer had this thing soldered to the two hot sides of the switch. What is it (capacitor? surge protector? electrical noise suppressor)? Only wording on the attachment is a large A, a smaller AA and 65 in reverse letters, like looking through a mirror. What was it for? Do I need it?

2014-06-27 11.29.48.jpg2014-06-27 11.33.52.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Middle TN

Re: What is attached to my pool timer?

Hmmmm. No Idea. Maybe it's a battery or a capacitor that someone wired into the circuit to keep the clock part of the timer working in the event of a power failure? How heavy is it? Does it have a charge?
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: What is attached to my pool timer?

It looks like a capacitor. It's probably to keep the points from arcing when the timer turns on and off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!