DE Filter with bad grids

Jun 26, 2014
Hopkinsville, KY
I just purchased a home with an 18x36 in ground pool. When I took the cover off my Hayward pro-grid 36" DE filter, I noticed there were several tears in the screens. Additonally, when I use my Polaris 360 vacuum, the in-line filter for the vacuum clogs up after 30 minutes. Should I change the screens in the filter and, if so, how?

16,500 gallons in ground vinyl pool
Hayward Pro-Grid 36" DE filter
Polaris Model 360 Vacuum

I suggested hoptown post this looking for some advice on repairing/replacing DE filter grids. I have not opened a DE filter so feel unqualified to suggest a repair/replacement method. Is their an on-line manual for this filter? I am unfamiliar with it.

That is just a shorter version of my filter used in the DE cleaning tutorial sticky in the pumping station area ..... lots of pictures to help. You could get a new set of grids off eBay for around $100

The manual... https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProGrid-DExx20.pdf I just recently cracked my Nautilus DE filter open and found one big tear and a bunch of little ones starting. I did a temporary patch over the holes until I can buy new grids. There are some posts on doing this if you do not want to spend money on new grids right now. As stated above there are numerous sellers on ebay undercutting each other. A full set of grids can be bought for less than $100.

You can replace the entire grid set or just the damaged ones. I just got done replacing a few grids in my Hayward DE filter. I got them at PoolPartsOnline.com. I shopped all over the internet and I liked them best. The prices are good and they only charge $8.95 for S&H. They also carried stuff I couldn't seem to find anywhere else.

In addition to the tutorial jblizzle mentioned, I also like this one http://troubleshooters.com/pool/de_filter_cleaning.htm
He has a different way to reassemble the grids (upside down). It actually seemed to be easier when I tried it that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spent years of "several hundred dollars on chemicals" trips to the pool store. Don't feel alone as almost everyone here didn't know any better before they ran across this site.
You are way ahead of me as "this" isn't my pool, the owner of the pool is my GF and she doesn't want to hear about TFP. :hammer: She's happy being pool stored and just tossing "whatever" in. In defense of the pool store the pool has always been nice and blue but it's cost a lot more $$$$ than it needed to. I'm shifting to TFP and not using all the "maintenance" chemicals.
What she doesn't know, saves her money :wink:

Have you replaced your grids yet and has it made a difference in clarity at all ??

High Pressure on New DE Grids

Merged by moderator to keep story together. jblizzle

I just replaced my old grids for a Hayward 36" DE filter. I followed a youtube video and thought I did it right. However, my pressure reading is at 32. I added 7 lbs of DE initially, and then backwashed it and added 3.5 lbs. Any advice?

Is there any flow going back to the pool? That pressure is higher than I would expect ... no way it should be higher that what it was with the old grids.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

That seems way high. After a backwash and new D.E. my pressure is at 18. My flow starts to slow when my filter gets to 20. When slamming my swamp this season my pressure went to 25 and I had almost no flow. Are you sure the gauge is working right? What was your pressure usually at before the new grids?

Well if it so cloudy that you can't vacuum then that is probably why your pressure is going up so fast. The D.E. gets loaded up with all the organics that it is filtering out and then the pressure goes up. It sounds like you need to slam your pool. I used up a 20 lb bag of D.E. this year opening my pool. I had to backwash and recharge my D.E. filter 4 or 5 times until my pool was finally clear. Since then it has been a consistent 18 psi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.