Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE Filter with bad grids

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter with bad grids

I just purchased a home with an 18x36 in ground pool. When I took the cover off my Hayward pro-grid 36" DE filter, I noticed there were several tears in the screens. Additonally, when I use my Polaris 360 vacuum, the in-line filter for the vacuum clogs up after 30 minutes. Should I change the screens in the filter and, if so, how?

16,500 gallons in ground vinyl pool
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36" DE filter
    Polaris Model 360 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DE Filter with bad grids

I suggested hoptown post this looking for some advice on repairing/replacing DE filter grids. I have not opened a DE filter so feel unqualified to suggest a repair/replacement method. Is their an on-line manual for this filter? I am unfamiliar with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That is just a shorter version of my filter used in the DE cleaning tutorial sticky in the pumping station area ..... lots of pictures to help. You could get a new set of grids off eBay for around $100
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The manual... https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...rid-DExx20.pdf I just recently cracked my Nautilus DE filter open and found one big tear and a bunch of little ones starting. I did a temporary patch over the holes until I can buy new grids. There are some posts on doing this if you do not want to spend money on new grids right now. As stated above there are numerous sellers on ebay undercutting each other. A full set of grids can be bought for less than $100.
    Vintage 1980 Buster Crabbe Lazy L, 21,500 gallon, In-ground, Vinyl, DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can replace the entire grid set or just the damaged ones. I just got done replacing a few grids in my Hayward DE filter. I got them at PoolPartsOnline.com. I shopped all over the internet and I liked them best. The prices are good and they only charge $8.95 for S&H. They also carried stuff I couldn't seem to find anywhere else.

In addition to the tutorial jblizzle mentioned, I also like this one http://troubleshooters.com/pool/de_filter_cleaning.htm
    He has a different way to reassemble the grids (upside down). It actually seemed to be easier when I tried it that way.
    19,400 gal in-ground vinyl. Hayward DE4820 DE filter. Hayward 1-1/2 hp SuperPump. SwimPure Plus SWG. RayPak 206A heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info.

8. Back To Top    #8

Personally, I would replace all the grids if some have ripped open. I would hate to fix a few and then have more rip in the near future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Ronschuster & Hoptownshave
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you kiss4afrog. I wish I had found this before I spent several hundred dollars on chemicals. I have learned so much from you all and it has been enjoyable.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I spent years of "several hundred dollars on chemicals" trips to the pool store. Don't feel alone as almost everyone here didn't know any better before they ran across this site.
    You are way ahead of me as "this" isn't my pool, the owner of the pool is my GF and she doesn't want to hear about TFP. She's happy being pool stored and just tossing "whatever" in. In defense of the pool store the pool has always been nice and blue but it's cost a lot more $$$$ than it needed to. I'm shifting to TFP and not using all the "maintenance" chemicals.
    What she doesn't know, saves her money

Have you replaced your grids yet and has it made a difference in clarity at all ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

High Pressure on New DE Grids

Merged by moderator to keep story together. jblizzle

I just replaced my old grids for a Hayward 36" DE filter. I followed a youtube video and thought I did it right. However, my pressure reading is at 32. I added 7 lbs of DE initially, and then backwashed it and added 3.5 lbs. Any advice?

13. Back To Top    #13

Is there any flow going back to the pool? That pressure is higher than I would expect ... no way it should be higher that what it was with the old grids.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

It seems as though the flow is good.

Polaris Model 360 Vacuum

15. Back To Top    #15

That seems way high. After a backwash and new D.E. my pressure is at 18. My flow starts to slow when my filter gets to 20. When slamming my swamp this season my pressure went to 25 and I had almost no flow. Are you sure the gauge is working right? What was your pressure usually at before the new grids?

16. Back To Top    #16

Previously my pressure was consistently at 18. I shut the pump of for a while and when I turned it back on, it started out at 14 and has been slowly creeping up.

Polaris Model 360 Vacuum

17. Back To Top    #17

Are you filtering out a swampy mess? When I opened the pool this year, mine went from 18 to 25 overnight when I was slamming and filtering it out.

18. Back To Top    #18

No, it's just cloudy. I haven't been able to vacuum it has been so cloudy.

Polaris Model 180 Vacuum

19. Back To Top    #19

Well if it so cloudy that you can't vacuum then that is probably why your pressure is going up so fast. The D.E. gets loaded up with all the organics that it is filtering out and then the pressure goes up. It sounds like you need to slam your pool. I used up a 20 lb bag of D.E. this year opening my pool. I had to backwash and recharge my D.E. filter 4 or 5 times until my pool was finally clear. Since then it has been a consistent 18 psi.

20. Back To Top    #20

So, I took the filter apart, cleaned the grids, backwashed it, and started it up again. I added 6 pounds of DE for my 36 inch filter. I just finished it about an hour ago so I will see what it looks like later tonight.

Thanks for the info.
    Polaris Model 180 Vacuum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast