Copper or Algae or Both? Green water after shocking pool

Jun 27, 2014
Weddington, nc
Topic moved here from a previous thread. Please ask you own Question instead of in someone else's thread. Brushpup.

I have gone thru **** with a mix of metals and algae. I see you told someone to put the sequestrant in first before shocking.. How long do I need to wait to shock after adding it? 24hrs, 6 Hrs, .. I remember reading several places that said you should really wait at least a week before you shock after you use Absorbic A and then the sequestrant to remove metals. Which I have done about a week ago..Kept chlorine very low thru this week with high temps.. My kids were in the pool last night and said the bottom felt slimy. I know it is because the Chlorine is not high enough and I'm sure algae is starting in there. SO today, exactly one week from when I did the last AA / seq treatment, I just added a maintenance dose of sequestrant. I need to get the chlorine higher but want to give the metal free enough time before I shock so my metals dont reappear. I have some of the cal-shock from Leslie's.. DO you recommend waiting a day or just shocking in about 6-8 hrs??? Or still not shocking and use bleach or what>?? . I am in the ENDLESS CYCLE, fighting between the metal and the algae.. Any help is appreciated.. Thanks Lesa

Ps. I also added a 4oz. maintenance amount of ALL purpose algaecide. (Dupont-40% is dimethyl benzylammonium chloride and 60% other ingredients??

Lesa, Welcome to TFP.

I have never dealt with a sequesterant so I can't give you an answer that I feel 100% about. Have you read this Pool School article yet? :lookhere: Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Are you filling from a well or used copper algaecides?

Hopefully, someone will be along to help you.

We add a sanitizer within 36 to 48 hours after using the ascorbic acid down here in Florida. The AA eats up the chlorine and the air borne algae has free reign. We add AA, then Jack's Magic, Magenta stuff (sequestering agent) and then start testing the chlorine. We have found that the AA continues to work for approx 3-4 weeks, (thus, depleting the chlorine as well) therefore, we test Chems every day during that time period. Otherwise we end up dealing with a swamp green pool teaming with tadpoles.

We have found that the AA continues to work for approx 3-4 weeks, (thus, depleting the chlorine as well) therefore, we test Chems every day during that time period. Otherwise we end up dealing with a swamp green pool teaming with tadpoles.
The ascorbic acid is all completely wiped out as soon as you have a measurable FC level. Chlorine and ascorbic acid mutually destroy each other very quickly. Whatever might be happening weeks later has nothing to do with ascorbic acid.

We add a sanitizer within 36 to 48 hours after using the ascorbic acid down here in Florida. The AA eats up the chlorine and the air borne algae has free reign. We add AA, then Jack's Magic, Magenta stuff (sequestering agent) and then start testing the chlorine. We have found that the AA continues to work for approx 3-4 weeks, (thus, depleting the chlorine as well) therefore, we test Chems every day during that time period. Otherwise we end up dealing with a swamp green pool teaming with tadpoles.
welcome to TFP.

As Jason says this is incorrect. Between this post and your other one about Phosphate Levels shows that you have been taught all your pool information at the pool store. I would suggest some reading in the Pool School (link at the top of every page).

We have found that pool store information and advice is poor on its best day. Their goal is to sell you stuff, usually at inflated prices. In our busy world we trust them to give good advice and teach correct information, but sadly many do not.

Welcome to TFP and I hope you stick around to learn about your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.