Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mystery stain/algae - help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Mystery stain/algae - help needed

Ok, I started off with brown/black stains/algae in the bottom of my vinyl liner. I initially rubbed a chlorine tab across the stains and no effect. I rubbed a vitamin c tab across the stains and it seemed to remove part of the stain. So, I decided it was a metal stain and brought FC to 0 and PH to 7.2. Then treated with 5 lbs of AA (25,000 gallon pool). The result was that none of the stain was removed.

I thought maybe my vitamin c tablet test somehow did not give me an accurate result and I then changed my thinking to be that maybe it was a copper stain. The reason being that my gas heater started the season off with a cracked heat exchanger so I decided it must have leaked some copper into the water.

So at that point I decided I would at least get my pool back to normal levels and worry about the stains later. So I shocked it and added chlorine tabs to the skimmer baskets. I did this in the evening and by the next morning my stains were completely gone! Now, I have changed my thinking back to being some sort of organic covering on the bottom of my pool. Today is 1.5 days after shocking the pool and now I see part of the stain/algae returning (maybe 10-25% of the original stain has come back in the exact same spots).

Additional info is that I have never been able to rub any of the stain off of the liner. I have tried brushing and scratching it with a fingernail. I cannot get any to come off on a fingernail so I am still very reluctant to think it is algae.

Any idea what my issue is?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Mystery stain/algae - help needed

Welcome to TFP! You've come to the right place. There are a few things we need to know to give you good advice.

First, please update your signature, in the upper right click "settings", then on the lower left select edit signature. Please add the details of your pool and equipment.

Second, how are you testing your water? If you have your own test kit, please tell us the test kit name.

Third, we need a complete set of test results, FC, CC, PH, TA, CH and CYA.

Karen
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, here we go. Sorry for delay.

FC 17 (keeping high because I suspect mustard algae - using liquid bleach)
    CC .5
    TC 17.5
    PH 7.2
    T/A 70
    CH 200
    CYA 70

I recently shocked at a high level and stains/algae completely disappeared. I am convinced to keep the FC high and hopefully it will kill off the suspected mustard algae. Any thoughts?
    25,000 gallon vinyl in ground, heater plumbed out, Hayward DE filter, Dolphin Nautilus cleaner, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

You FC is not even close to high. See the FC/CYA Chart. With a CYA of 70ppm, you need to maintain a FC level of 28ppm just for the normal ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

Before I waste water (getting CYA lower) and liquid chlorine can someone tell me that mustard algae cannot be scraped off with even a fingernail? I cannot get any of it to come off no matter what I do physically. The only thing that makes it disappear is a lot of chlorine. Am I just bleaching a stain? All other types of algae I was always able to scrap some off one way or another.
    25,000 gallon vinyl in ground, heater plumbed out, Hayward DE filter, Dolphin Nautilus cleaner, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like an organic stain and not live algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

8. Back To Top    #8

Any ideas how to best get rid of the organic stain?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Chlorine. Unfortunately your CYA is too high. High levels of CYA protects the chlorine from doing its job. Chlorine is what is needed for organic stains, but your high CYA is keeping it from doing its job.

Regardless of the source of the organic stain (black or muster or leaf stains), you need high levels of chlorine with brushing to get rid of it. Until you drain to get your CYA levels down, you won't be able to make much progress on the stain.

As stated earlier, with your CYA that high, you should be shooting for a FC of 28... otherwise you won't be able to make any progress.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile