Older Hayward H400 ED1 - should it be bonded???

I recently serviced the shaft seal for my Polaris booster pump. Afterward, having reattached electrical connections, while I was reattaching the bonding wire to the motor housing, I noticed that my Hayward H400 ED1 natural gas heater (electronic ignition) is not bonded. Looked through the manual (Thanks previous homeowner!!!) and there is no mention of bonding. Searched the internet and found a wealth of info on the subject, including user/installation/service manuals for later model Hayward H series gas heaters with electronic ignition. All these later model manuals devote a page to the issue of bonding.

Perhaps there was a transition in the code to include heaters utilizing electronic ignition (since they utilize power in contrast to millivolt piloted heaters) just after my H400 ED1 was installed.

Anyone care to state whether or not I should integrate my H400 into the bonding grid??? I am inclined to do this.

If it is necessary, how should it be accomplished? Is a bonding lug with wire attached to the heater housing sufficient (opposite end of wire attached to motor bonding wire(s))?

Thanks for any consideration and replies!

The heater must be bonded. It has metal in contract with the water, so it gets bonded with or without an AC connection.

- - - Updated - - -

The heater must be bonded. It has metal in contract with the water, so it gets bonded with or without an AC connection. This is not a new rule.

Run a copper wire from the pumps bonding wire over to the heater. You can also use a copper split bolt to attach it to the pumps wire if you need to. You can pretty much attach it to any part of the external metal cabinet and you are good to go.

Split bolt...my exact plan! I can get that and a mount for the heater cabinet at the local hardware store...and the wire - Bare copper - AWG 6 or 8? I can look up the code.

Thanks for the response. I maintain several pools in my little neighborhood besides my own and I am experienced/learned enough to tackle the simpler tasks. TFP has been a goto for me, thanks for making my first forum experience here a good one.

Thanks for the info. Heater is bonded.

Incidentally, CHX GRL 1930 is the grounding lug (not copper) which is located in the "high voltage" electrical hookup junction box next to the control module.

I obtained a copper bonding lug, split bolt, and bonding wire and went from the motor bonding wire to the heater housing as was suggested.

Again, many thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.