Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Older Hayward H400 ED1 - should it be bonded???

1. Back To Top    #1

Older Hayward H400 ED1 - should it be bonded???

I recently serviced the shaft seal for my Polaris booster pump. Afterward, having reattached electrical connections, while I was reattaching the bonding wire to the motor housing, I noticed that my Hayward H400 ED1 natural gas heater (electronic ignition) is not bonded. Looked through the manual (Thanks previous homeowner!!!) and there is no mention of bonding. Searched the internet and found a wealth of info on the subject, including user/installation/service manuals for later model Hayward H series gas heaters with electronic ignition. All these later model manuals devote a page to the issue of bonding.

Perhaps there was a transition in the code to include heaters utilizing electronic ignition (since they utilize power in contrast to millivolt piloted heaters) just after my H400 ED1 was installed.

Anyone care to state whether or not I should integrate my H400 into the bonding grid??? I am inclined to do this.

If it is necessary, how should it be accomplished? Is a bonding lug with wire attached to the heater housing sufficient (opposite end of wire attached to motor bonding wire(s))?

Thanks for any consideration and replies!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Older Hayward H400 ED1 - should it be bonded???

The heater must be bonded. It has metal in contract with the water, so it gets bonded with or without an AC connection.

- - - Updated - - -

The heater must be bonded. It has metal in contract with the water, so it gets bonded with or without an AC connection. This is not a new rule.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Run a copper wire from the pumps bonding wire over to the heater. You can also use a copper split bolt to attach it to the pumps wire if you need to. You can pretty much attach it to any part of the external metal cabinet and you are good to go.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice...kind of strange that older Hayward installation and service manuals do include bonding along with other electrical hookup specs. I'm going to add it to the grid.

5. Back To Top    #5

Split bolt...my exact plan! I can get that and a mount for the heater cabinet at the local hardware store...and the wire - Bare copper - AWG 6 or 8? I can look up the code.

Thanks for the response. I maintain several pools in my little neighborhood besides my own and I am experienced/learned enough to tackle the simpler tasks. TFP has been a goto for me, thanks for making my first forum experience here a good one.

6. Back To Top    #6

#8 bond wire.

7. Back To Top    #7

heater has to be bonded for sure

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that that heater originally came with a bonding lug. Part number CHXGRL1930. I think that it was on the lower right side near the bottom.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the info. Heater is bonded.

Incidentally, CHX GRL 1930 is the grounding lug (not copper) which is located in the "high voltage" electrical hookup junction box next to the control module.

I obtained a copper bonding lug, split bolt, and bonding wire and went from the motor bonding wire to the heater housing as was suggested.

Again, many thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Is the heater a millivolt heater?