Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thank you TFP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thank you TFP!!

I started the TFP method a month ago at the recommendation of a friend/neighbor. I read as much as I could on the forum and about the method. I ordered my kit , bought my bleach, replaced 60% of my water (to lower CA), ordered my chemicals (calcium chloride) and took off running. The results are fantastic!! Now, I can test the water and make adjustments on MY schedule. The only things I go to the pool store to buy are MA and pool toys. It used to be a constant struggle to keep the chlorine in the pool and the mustard algae away. So far, so good. The clarity of the water is amazing, and the whole family has commented on it . See the pic as evidence. Keeping my fingers crossed that the success will continue, and my only "issue" will be getting the june bugs and my daughters' hair barrettes out of the water.

TFP Pool at night.jpg
    14,990 IG plaster; DE Pentair FNSPLS 60; 6 lbs DE; 150 gal/min; 2 HP WhisperFlo 2 speed pump; built Feb 2002;
    640 gal spa w/ constant waterfall; 5' x 10' waterfall; Polaris 280 cleaner;
    Pentair 400 nat gas 34,000 BTU heater; in-line auto chlorinator tower (empty)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thank you TFP!!

Congratulations on taking control!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what pool store charges for MA, but any hardware store should have it. I think I paid $7.28 a gallon at our local home improvement. Pool looks awesome!!!
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I pay $11 for 2 gallons of MA from the pool store. That is about the only thing I buy there since it is full strength.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool store is also cheaper for MA than the box stores and it is full strength. Some of the box stores sell the half strength stuff for more than what I pay, $5 a gallon.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked out the two big box home improvement stores, and both were more expensive than the pool store (starts with an "L"). The pool store charges $11.49 for a box of 2 1 gal. jugs of 31.45% - 20 Baume' MA.
    14,990 IG plaster; DE Pentair FNSPLS 60; 6 lbs DE; 150 gal/min; 2 HP WhisperFlo 2 speed pump; built Feb 2002;

7. Back To Top    #7

Keeping my fingers crossed that the success will continue, and my only "issue" will be getting the june bugs and my daughters' hair barrettes out of the water.
    No need to cross your fingers, you got this!

Happy swims
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

8. Back To Top    #8

June bugs drive us crazy also
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

9. Back To Top    #9

I have banned hair barrettes, but my daughters' friends inevitably will lose one or two of these rust culprits. I devised a perfect way to pick up hair barrettes from the pool floor before they have a chance to rust and stain (of which I unfortunately have several). Take two magnets (available at a hardware or hobby/craft store) and put one inside your leaf rake/net. On the outside of the leaf rake or net attach the second magnet to the first. Now just run the net along the pool floor, and the magnet picks up the barrettes.

10. Back To Top    #10

I currently have 3 rust stains that I am pretty sure was the result of a hair barrette. Only hair ties without metal now allowed

Reminds me I should get some vitamin C and try to get rid of them ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator