Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So frustrated...what am I not doing??

1. Back To Top    #1

So frustrated...what am I not doing??

Started June 6. Slammed until vacation (left with clear pool, returned to clear pool) June 14...resumed June 21st.

Yesterday, brought to Mustard Algae shock level (for my cya of 55, that meant going from FC 22 to 32). Last night it looked like I may have had it...no CC. This morning showed a 21% loss in FC and a CC of 1.5

Before vacation, we cleaned behind the lights and in the waterfall area.

I have left the cover off for 2 days to 1) allow sunlight and 2) to make sure it is not contributing to the problem.

Everything is running and has been 24/7 (waterfall and solar). I am dreading my electric bill. The water has been crystal clear for weeks.

I raised the FC to the highest level on the PoolMath calculator.

Am I expecting too much too quickly? What is going on???
    30k in-ground pool with pebble surface, cartridge filter, solar panel with solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So frustrated...what am I not doing??

First, you should really keep,everything in one post rather than starting a new one so folks can see what has happened. The moderators will probably merge them.

My gut feeling is that your CYA is a little higher than you think. You started at 100 and did a 25% water change but then reported 60 CYA. Are you sure of that number? If it is higher you might be too low on your shock level. Your week vacation in the middle also gave the stuff in the water time to recover, so you were really starting a new SLAM after vacation.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    First, you should really keep,everything in one post rather than starting a new one so folks can see what has happened. The moderators will probably merge them.

My gut feeling is that your CYA is a little higher than you think. You started at 100 and did a 25% water change but then reported 60 CYA. Are you sure of that number? If it is higher you might be too low on your shock level. Your week vacation in the middle also,gave the stuff in the water time to recover, so,you were really starting a new SLAM after vacation.
    I wasn't sure, so I retested and then made my husband retest...we both came up with 55, so I have been using that number. I didn't know about the coffee filter the first time, so maybe that influenced my first reading? I also suspect we are just shy of 30k gallons.

My husband just rechecked everything again and we have:

Cya 50 (independently checked by husband and I, we did vacuum when cleaning lights and waterfall)
    Ph 7.7
    Alkalinity 100
    Calcium 290
    30k in-ground pool with pebble surface, cartridge filter, solar panel with solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Coffee filter??? What am I missing???
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The water needs to be really really swampy for the coffee filter to make any difference for the CYA test.

If you the water directly in the tube and it looks clear, then the test is fine without pre filtering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Coffee filter??? What am I missing???
    Apparently, dirty water can cloud the results (literally) when testing for your cya.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The water needs to be really really swampy for the coffee filter to make any difference for the CYA test.

If you the water directly in the tube and it looks clear, then the test is fine without pre filtering.
    I don't know if it was the cloudy water that gave a high cya reading the first time, or maybe we just drained more than I planned.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, but your mentioning the coffee filter was sort of out of the blue.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, but your mentioning the coffee filter was sort of out of the blue.
    Sorry...I do things like that....

9. Back To Top    #9

Your original test for cya was 100. How was that determined? It could have been 300 or more. Did you do a dilution test?

10. Back To Top    #10

Your original test for cya was 100. How was that determined? It could have been 300 or more. Did you do a dilution test?
    Test was with Taylor kit....same one I used today to ascertain a cya of approximately 50. The cya has dropped due to a water drain and additional vacuuming.

11. Back To Top    #11

When you test for CYA do you hold the test tube at your waistline? You are not suppose to bring it up to your face to try and see the black dot. A CC greater than could only mean 1 thing...SLAM.

You mentioned you slammed while you were on vacation. How can you check your levels if you are gone? I hope you did not use pucks to SLAM.
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by consoleman View Post
    When you test for CYA do you hold the test tube at your waistline? You are not suppose to bring it up to your face to try and see the black dot. A CC greater than could only mean 1 thing...SLAM.

You mentioned you slammed while you were on vacation. How can you check your levels if you are gone? I hope you did not use pucks to SLAM.

I slammed before and after vacation, not during (just had house sitter add 2 c chlorine every day).

Redid test at waistline....I came up with a cya of 60 and husband came up with 55 (he has much better vision than I do!). I would trust his 55 over my 60.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Awoodwaring View Post
    Redid test at waistline....I came up with a cya of 60 and husband came up with 55 (he has much better vision than I do!). I would trust his 55 over my 60.
    Boy don't I understand the vision thing!

There really is no 55, CYA is read to the closest number. If you look at the scale it's not linear, the distances change as you get higher, so half way between 50 & 60 is probably not 55. For a SLAM using the higher number means using a little more bleach, but it won't hurt anything and may help.

Only three things cause the FC reading to go down:
    * Sunlight/UV
    * Organics being oxidized
    * Testing error

You have a good grasp on the testing, so we can discount the testing error. The FC loss seems way to high to be a UV loss only, so that leaves us with organics. The CC reading supports this.

The only solution is continuing the SLAM.

Test FC and adjust to your shock level as often as possible. Don't let it drop. Twice a day is minimum, but 48 times a day is the absolute best. Somewhere between those two numbers is one that you can keep up with. The more often the better.

Others have reported SLAMs taking as long or longer. Just keep up the fight.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Boy don't I understand the vision thing!

There really is no 55, CYA is read to the closest number. If you look at the scale it's not linear, the distances change as you get higher, so half way between 50 & 60 is probably not 55. For a SLAM using the higher number means using a little more bleach, but it won't hurt anything and may help.

Only three things cause the FC reading to go down:
    * Sunlight/UV
    * Organics being oxidized
    * Testing error

You have a good grasp on the testing, so we can discount the testing error. The FC loss seems way to high to be a UV loss only, so that leaves us with organics. The CC reading supports this.

The only solution is continuing the SLAM.

Test FC and adjust to your shock level as often as possible. Don't let it drop. Twice a day is minimum, but 48 times a day is the absolute best. Somewhere between those two numbers is one that you can keep up with. The more often the better.

Others have reported SLAMs taking as long or longer. Just keep up the fight.
    Sounds good...I will keep slamming. Just needed to know if I was doing everything correctly. Geez this takes a long time (and, yes, I am impatient)!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Awoodwaring;
    Geez this takes a long time (and, yes, I am impatient)!
    hey, minute rice takes too long for me

16. Back To Top    #16

What you using to add chlorine?
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Mostly, I pour straight from the container (I am pretty good at eyeballing). This last week since being back from vacation, I started using a hard, plastic measuring cup from the kitchen for the partial measurements. I pour around the pool, mostly in front of the returns. Then, I brush. I rinse the measuring cup in the pool, and let dry upside down on the chlorine container.

18. Back To Top    #18

pouring by hand at first, but I have just installed a Stenner pump.