Shock once a week?

Jan 21, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Hi all
The pool guy told me yesterday that I need to "shock" the pool once a week no matter what. He suggested that I use Shock n' swim as the kids can swim right after and not have to wait 24 hours after the shock. But if I'm testing every day and putting bleach in every evening to keep my levels good, do I need to shock once a week too?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Hi all
The pool guy told me yesterday that I need to "shock" the pool once a week no matter what. He suggested that I use Shock n' swim as the kids can swim right after and not have to wait 24 hours after the shock. But if I'm testing every day and putting bleach in every evening to keep my levels good, do I need to shock once a week too?
Thanks in advance.
Mike
if you maintain proper FC levels you never need to shock. The shock once a week comes from the pools stores who are selling those pretty bags of granular shock. Just one of these a week and float some tabs and everything will be fine.

Is this the "pool guy" at a pool store? Is he trying to sell you shock?

You are doing it right, test regularly and adjust/add as needed.

Oh good. That's what I tried to tell the guy, but when I told him I was adding bleach he nearly hit the ceiling. Ha!
Mike
i take it he doesn't sell liquid chlorine?

I now find it unnecessary to even go in a pool store. I try to give them business but they just don't want it.

The first time I asked about liquid chlorine I was told "you must be from Florida to ask that". They then proceeded to tell me liquid chlorine was illegal in SC. Hmmm, what is bleach???

The next time I needed a pool light bulb. I pulled mine out to discover the previous owner of the house just used a 100w floodlight bulb, but the fixture called for a 500w pool bulb. That can't be right.... I googled the bulb I needed and it was $18 via Amazon Prime - 2 day delivery. Being an immediate gratification kind of guy i stopped at the pool store while running errands. They had 400w bulbs for $49. Told me no one used 500w bulbs. When I questioned the price and told them the Amazon price I was told, nope - take it or leave it. OK, I can understand they need to pay bills and keep the lights on. I would have even been willing to pay 10 bucks more than Amazon for the 400w bulb. But no, take it or leave it. Guess my choice?

Their business model is failing. With the advent if the internet the next generation of pool owners are going to figure it out.

I found some 10.5 @ HD off of Harbison last year, but it was over 6 mos old then. It was still there a few weeks ago. I also saw some 10.5 @ the Lexington Kmart one time, but not since. I converted to a swg this spring. I picked up some bleach just in case my fc gets below where it is now with all this heat. But it's been holding for a few days now. I looked at the Polaris hose swivels at Leslie's. They wanted $19 for one!! I found the exact same swivels online @ $10 for a 3 pack

I found some 10.5 @ HD off of Harbison last year, but it was over 6 mos old then. It was still there a few weeks ago. I also saw some 10.5 @ the Lexington Kmart one time, but not since. I converted to a swg this spring. I picked up some bleach just in case my fc gets below where it is now with all this heat. But it's been holding for a few days now.
Thanks. I really gave up even looking, bleach is working fine. She was right, I did spend a lot of time in the Miami area and the 12% stuff is everywhere down there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.