Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock once a week?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock once a week?

Hi all
    The pool guy told me yesterday that I need to "shock" the pool once a week no matter what. He suggested that I use Shock n' swim as the kids can swim right after and not have to wait 24 hours after the shock. But if I'm testing every day and putting bleach in every evening to keep my levels good, do I need to shock once a week too?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock once a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Piper Mike View Post
    Hi all
    The pool guy told me yesterday that I need to "shock" the pool once a week no matter what. He suggested that I use Shock n' swim as the kids can swim right after and not have to wait 24 hours after the shock. But if I'm testing every day and putting bleach in every evening to keep my levels good, do I need to shock once a week too?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    if you maintain proper FC levels you never need to shock. The shock once a week comes from the pools stores who are selling those pretty bags of granular shock. Just one of these a week and float some tabs and everything will be fine.

Is this the "pool guy" at a pool store? Is he trying to sell you shock?

You are doing it right, test regularly and adjust/add as needed.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope. I never have had to shock (SLAM) after the initial opening each spring. I test every night and dose accordingly and my water stays clear all season.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh good. That's what I tried to tell the guy, but when I told him I was adding bleach he nearly hit the ceiling. Ha!
    Mike

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Piper Mike View Post
    Oh good. That's what I tried to tell the guy, but when I told him I was adding bleach he nearly hit the ceiling. Ha!
    Mike
    i take it he doesn't sell liquid chlorine?

I now find it unnecessary to even go in a pool store. I try to give them business but they just don't want it.

The first time I asked about liquid chlorine I was told "you must be from Florida to ask that". They then proceeded to tell me liquid chlorine was illegal in SC. Hmmm, what is bleach???

The next time I needed a pool light bulb. I pulled mine out to discover the previous owner of the house just used a 100w floodlight bulb, but the fixture called for a 500w pool bulb. That can't be right.... I googled the bulb I needed and it was $18 via Amazon Prime - 2 day delivery. Being an immediate gratification kind of guy i stopped at the pool store while running errands. They had 400w bulbs for $49. Told me no one used 500w bulbs. When I questioned the price and told them the Amazon price I was told, nope - take it or leave it. OK, I can understand they need to pay bills and keep the lights on. I would have even been willing to pay 10 bucks more than Amazon for the 400w bulb. But no, take it or leave it. Guess my choice?

Their business model is failing. With the advent if the internet the next generation of pool owners are going to figure it out.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I found some 10.5 @ HD off of Harbison last year, but it was over 6 mos old then. It was still there a few weeks ago. I also saw some 10.5 @ the Lexington Kmart one time, but not since. I converted to a swg this spring. I picked up some bleach just in case my fc gets below where it is now with all this heat. But it's been holding for a few days now. I looked at the Polaris hose swivels at Leslie's. They wanted $19 for one!! I found the exact same swivels online @ $10 for a 3 pack
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    I found some 10.5 @ HD off of Harbison last year, but it was over 6 mos old then. It was still there a few weeks ago. I also saw some 10.5 @ the Lexington Kmart one time, but not since. I converted to a swg this spring. I picked up some bleach just in case my fc gets below where it is now with all this heat. But it's been holding for a few days now.
    Thanks. I really gave up even looking, bleach is working fine. She was right, I did spend a lot of time in the Miami area and the 12% stuff is everywhere down there.

8. Back To Top    #8

So I have an unopened box of 5 bags per box of shock and swim that I bought from Walmart last week. Should I try and take it back? Or would there ever be any need to save it incase I might need to use it one day?
    Mike

9. Back To Top    #9

Take it back. At some point in time you may want to use it... But not likely.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit