Cell not kicking in

Jun 23, 2014
Kingsland Texas
I run the pump for 5 hours very day. The generator is set to 50%. I am having an issue with the generator turning on as the reading is anywhere from 200 to 2100. Power light, check salt light and inspect cell light is on. I can run the pump 24 hours and it never starts generating. I can force start by turning control box off for a minute or so then back to auto and the reading will jump to 2900 within one minute and start generating. The pumping cycle ends and the next pumping cycle has to be force started.

There are several things that might be going on. The cell cable might be loose. The salt level might actually be too low. The cell could be nearing the end of it's lifetime. And so on.

Did the SWG work previously? How old is the cell? Have you measured the salt level with anything other than the SWG reading?

Two week old cell, cable connections good, salt strips 3260. The old cell simple shut down after 7 years so we replaced it with an oem. I thought I was having weird reading issues with this new cell until you clarified the readings for me. Once I kick start the cell, the control box will read 2900. The 2900 might change to 3300 at some point in the cycle then again it might just stay on 2900 for the entire 5 hour pump. The instant salinity, when reading, is almost always on 3700.

Yesterday's pumping cycle average salt readings (salt strip 3260):
7a=200 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
8a=2100 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
9a=2100 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
10a=2100 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
Move control box to off and immediately back to auto.
System restarts showing 2100 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on.
In less than two minutes, average reading jumps to 2900,
instant salinity 3700 and generating.
At the end of the 5 hr pump cycle (only 2 hrs generating), shows
3700 average salt level and 3900 instant salt level.

Today: (salt strip 3370)
7a=100 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
8a=2000 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
9a=2000 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
10a=2000 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on
Move control box to off and immediately back to auto.
System restarts shows 2000 no generation - check salt, inspect cell on.
In less than two minutes, average reading jumps to 2900,
instant salinity 3700 and generating.
At the end of the 5 hr pump cycle, (only 2hrs generating) show
3200 average salt level and 3600 instant salt level.

Why is the average salt level changing so drastically in 24 hours?
The generator’s low salt readings prevent it from automatically starting,
which means I must force start it. Just don’t know why. Never had to do
anything like this in the past 7 years. Will give Hayward a call tomorrow
and see what they say.

Got her fixed! The only thing I could find in my system that did not fit the recommendations on this site was that the control box was wired into the hot side of the time and not the pump side. Every thing else appeared to be right on. Rewired the control box to the pump side last week so that the control box would be turned on and off with the pump and everything has been perfect since then. Not sure if, why or how this would have made a difference.

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.