Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on chlorinating once a day

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on chlorinating once a day

I chlorinate every morning right before I leave to work and this week I logged all my results of FC (0 CC). I lose about 5 ppm on average of FC a day to the sun and I am at about 35 ppm of CYA.

The chart shows minimum I should be at about 3 ppm of minimum FC with normal levels at about 5 ppm of FC. Since I lose about 5 ppm on average a day, is it ok if before I go to work I target 10 ppm of FC or is that too high to keep in the pool?

My family uses the pool during the day and I don't want my wife messing with the bleach while the children are around so I prefer to chlorinate once a day.
    12' x 18' Oval Above Ground Pool (buried 2')
    Manufacturer states ~5,000 gallons
    Pentair CC75 Cartridge Filter System 1-HP Opti-Flo Pump
    Bleach Chlorination Method
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on chlorinating once a day

That is fine. It's safe to swim up to shock levels so no problem for them swimming. Just allow time for the chlorine to mix well before the pool party starts. My wife has never noticed a difference between 8FC and 18FC when she was swimming

With that being said, there is the school of thought that you should add chlorine in the evening to allow the higher FC levels time to work without the depletion of sunlight. Before I got my Stenner I tried that for a while, but it just didn't work out very well for my schedule.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    That is fine. It's safe to swim up to shock levels so no problem for them swimming. Just allow time for the chlorine to,mix well before the pool party starts.
    I try to keep the pump on for 10-15 minutes after I pour chlorine in and they usually don't start swimming for at least another hour after that.

Maybe I will get it to this level the night before since I don't lose much at nighttime.

Thanks!
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you are losing too much daily. Average is 2.5 - ish loss. I suggest you do an OCLT to make sure nothing is growing.

Also, you could try adding chlorine in the evening after the sun is off the pool. With 35 CYA, keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. So, aim for 7 FC when you dose.

If OCLT is good, no CC & water clear, you may simply need to increase the CYA.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    It sounds like you are losing too much daily. Average is 2.5 - ish loss. I suggest you do an OCLT to make sure nothing is growing.

Also, you could try adding chlorine in the evening after the sun is off the pool. With 35 CYA, keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. So, aim for 7 FC when you dose.

If OCLT is good, no CC & water clear, you may simply need to increase the CYA.
    Yeah I always test every night and every morning and I only lose about .5ppm at night and there is always under .5ppm of cc (usually 0)

Maybe I will try to increase my CYA to 45 and see what happens. Currently its about 35. My pool gets hit with sun most of the day
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum