Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding baking soda to boost TA - water is cloudy now

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding baking soda to boost TA - water is cloudy now

My TA was low enough not to show up in my test (just using strips right now). Using the pool math I need to add ~41 pounds. Well, just to be safe I've only added 15lbs over the past two days. The TA is now showing up on the test but relatively low, around 40. The water in the pool was completely clear before this but, now it's cloudy and has a film on the top of the water.

Is this normal and will clear up in a bit of time? Should I continue to add baking soda until I hit 100ppm?
    28,000 gallon
    inground
    vinyl
    DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding baking soda to boost TA - water is cloudy now

That could be an indication that your CH level is too high. But there is no way of telling without a full set of test results. It is also possible that the test strips are simply wrong. None of the test strips are especially reliable. By far the best thing you can do is to get a top quality test kit. Without reliable test results there is no reliable way to take care of your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding baking soda to boost TA - water is cloudy now

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That could be an indication that your CH level is too high. But there is no way of telling without a full set of test results. It is also possible that the test strips are simply wrong. None of the test strips are especially reliable. By far the best thing you can do is to get a top quality test kit. Without reliable test results there is no reliable way to take care of your pool.
    I have a tft kit, but I have the strips so I figured I would use them up. So adding baking soda should not cause the water to get cloudy? Ok, when I get home I'll run a fell set of numbers
    28,000 gallon
    inground
    vinyl
    DE filter