Bromine Questions

May 18, 2014
Crowley,LA
I currently have a AGP that uses chlorine. (We use the BBB method.) I will be draining it sometimes over the next few weeks to change the liner. I have a 9mth old son that loves the water. He swims almost daily. Except the chlorine is a bit harsh on his skin and hair and dries it out. I was doing research on switching to bromine over chlorine and it seems like a major win except for cost and it's only a few dollars. Is there anything I'm missing here, like new equipment harder to maintain or etc? Can I still use the BBB method but instead of chlorine use bromine, and keep the baking soda, borax and muriatic acid? Is CYA an important factor in protecting the bromine like with chlorine, does CYA affect bromides "sanitizing" power like it does with chlorine. Do the bromine tablets contain CYA like chlorine tabs do? Is Bromine corrosive like salt and harsh on the equipment (pump and etc.) and pool frame?

IIRC, bromine can not be adequate protected from the sun with CYA or something similar, so you lose a lot more of it each day.
Bromine lasts longer at higher temps, so its typical use is in hot tubs that do not have sun exposure, but there is also a different smell that many do not like.

What CYA and FC levels are you maintaining? What are all the test results?

You could always add borates to the pool to make the water feel better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.