Just got my TF-100 and have a plan of action. Double-check before I break something?

Hi all... first time poster :)

Little background
So just recently bought a house w/ a pool and been semi-wingin' the pool maintenance... and it looks like **** - go figure.

About a week ago in desperation I dumped about 3/4 and refilled fresh from the hose. Looked pretty good! Tested w/ the cheap little strips... Everything was great! ...for about a 2 days.. and the boom worse then before.

After that I figured it was time to buckle down and learn how to do it the right way and wound up running across this site! Immediately ordered a TF-100 xl, auto-mixer dealio, borate tests... whole deal. :cool:

Today
So, it came in today and after the kids knocked out it was like christmas. Felt like a mad scientist w/ all this stuff lol.

So I got some starting numbers and have devised a plan of attack but was hoping someone might double-check my noob-logic before I finally do the pool in for good.

So here's the dirt - be kind ;)
FC: 0 (I know I know...)
CYA: 25
PH: 8.2 (Or higher??? was same color has highest one)
TA: 100 (wow, this actually seems ok)

Devised Plan of Attack
1) Lower PH to 7.5
2) Slam Slam Slam
3) Raise CYA to 45
4) Re-survey and devise next plan of action

Breakdown of Plan
Lower PH to 7.5
-Start w/ 20oz of 31.45% Baume (or equivalent) acid and re-check

Slam
-Raise current FC to 11 via 1.7 121oz jugs of 8.25% bleach (I have a bunch of this)
-Follow other steps of slam process

Raise CYA to 45
-via 32oz (weight) or 34oz (volume) stabilizer
or 84oz liquid stabilizer

So, look ok? Or am I about turn my pool into some toxic soup? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any insight!

You may have won the award for most on the ball newbie. Looks 100% correct. Make sure you keep up on the slam as often as possible; especially for the first day or two. And like you said, don't raise you CYA until after the SLAM is complete. Kudos!

WOW Just wow!!! You have done a great job of reading pool school. I have never seen a first timer hit it like you did!! That being said be sure you sweep and vacuum to clear out the dead stuff. backwash your filter when it gets 25% above your clean filter values. other than that you have got it.... Slam away........................ Oh BTW you should post pics. you will be so proud to look at the before and after pics!!!

Wow thanks for such a warm welcome and all the awesome replies and suggestions! :)

Yeah I definitely read the pool school stuff - over and over till it finally started to sink in a little :) I was hoping it wasn’t just my lack of sleep causing a false sense of confidence ;)

I plan on starting the process in here in just a few (gotta run and grab some acid first) so will post back results as I can.

Abigail K: Thanks! Will get the FC level up right above min for the current CYA before starting the process.

Butterfly: Just did it right now: CH = 225. So looks to within range for my plaster pool per the docs I believe?

MBG75: Will do! Brush at the ready. ;)

Here are some pics as requested in the mean time - I think the pics make the pool look quite a bit better than it really is actually :)

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

Alright, thanks again all. Wish me luck :)

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 176

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey all back w/ some updates on the SLAM. So far going awesome!

Been checking and adjusting FC every few hours and have managed to keep it in SLAM mode since my last post on Friday. Definitely a chore when the sun comes out! I've learned the sun = the great chlorine devourer!

The perseverance has definitely been rewarded though! I've definitely still got a ways to go to get everything else correct...but the difference in just 3 days from the SLAM alone is almost staggering.

I'll be checking everything tonight and seeing if we're good to bring this thing to an end tomorrow.
Then it will be time to get a everything else lined up. :)

Pictures of a transformation over the last 3 days...

Friday 6/27
So as suggested I grabbed the brush and went to town...
IMG_0628.jpg

You mean this stuff actually comes up? I just thought the bottom of the pool was always this color. lol

IMG_0629.jpg

Brush brush brush

IMG_0634.jpg

Getting a little cloudy in here...

IMG_0638.jpg

The brush end of the brush... is... gone...

IMG_0650.jpg

They say it's got to get worse before it gets better right?

IMG_0652.jpg

Good night green soup

Saturday 6/28
I awoke that next morning to such a wonderful sight - almost ALL the algae had been eaten by the chlorine. There was a little after that morning's brushing but wow what a difference just one night made!
IMG_0671.jpg

Is this really the same pool from last night?
IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

By mid-afternoon almost all the green hue was gone... just kept getting better and better
IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

Almost looks good enough to jump in... if you don't mind skin-melting levels of FC.. :)

Sunday 6/29 (This morning)
So... By this morning it's just gorgeous.. Still a little cloudy...but BLUE as can be!
IMG_0692.jpg

Who's pool is this? Can't be my pool :)
IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

So purty.. :)

So as said going to see if i can hopefully stop the constant baby sitting tomorrow and move on to the next steps in the plan of attack. :cool:

Thanks to all for all the help so far :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.