Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Torrential rains, drained some water & no chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Torrential rains, drained some water & no chlorine

We installed a Circupool Si45 about a month ago & it's been working perfectly-love it! Chlorine levels have been holding perfectly until we had a very heavy rainstorm two days ago (2.5 inches in 2 hours). I cleaned most of the debris from pool that evening, drained some water as pool was overflowing. Pump auto off for the nite & back on the next AM. I increased the chlorine percent to compensate for water lost etc.. Did not check chlorine level & pump & swg cycled off & back on. More rain this AM & the water looked increasingly cloudy. I checked the chlorine level & test showed none-I use a Taylor kit. The swg appears to be operating ok. Displaying salt level of 4500 & am getting no error or problem messages. Thoughts?? Should i just let the swg operate at shock level for 24? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Shaz
    25,000 gal
    SWG
    Inground vinyl
    Hayward sand pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Torrential rains, drained some water & no chlorine

Raise the FC level to normal manually and then see if the SWG can keep up from there. If you wait for the SWG to catch up it will probably take to long and things could get out of control.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, will do. Do I need to shut the SWG off while I'm adding regular chlorine??

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that I checked the salt level using Aquarite test strip & it showed salt level at 2800 or so. Should I add a bit more salt also??
    Shaz
    25,000 gal
    SWG
    Inground vinyl
    Hayward sand pump

4. Back To Top    #4

No. Leave the SWG on, but add bleach to get the FC up to the right level. Then see if the SWG keeps up.

Don't add salt unless SWG shows low salt.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    Shaz
    25,000 gal
    SWG
    Inground vinyl
    Hayward sand pump