on too Chapter 2

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Bought a property with a pool in 2011; after lots of TFP help and some new equipment and lots of trial / error circulation balance & sanitation seem Ok. Water is clear and at 85 degrees is fun.

So on to Chapter 2 i.e. pool restoration

1) Pool surrounded by slate and most/all of the slates are loose. What to do?
2) Plaster is rough and has staining. I think not algae, rather other stuff. What to do?
3) Tile has ?calcium deposits. What to do?
I searched TFP and advice seems complex / confused at least to me.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_0689 all.jpg
    DSC_0689 all.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi engrave.

1. About the pavers, I cant help out much.
2. stains can be several things. You need to do a couple of tests as follows.

a. If you have a chlorine tablet, rub it vigorously on a spot for several minutes. If the stain lifts, the stain is organic and bumping your FC a couple ppms above target FC will eventually get rid of them. If nothing with the tab, go to test b.

b. get some vitamin C tablets and put a tablet on the stain until the tablet completely dissolves. If the stain lifts, the staining is caused my metals of some sort in the pool water. An absorbic Acid treatment would help out with metal staining.

c. If neither of the above is it, it may likely be Calcium Scaling. This happens because the CH and PH were not kept in check and calcium has deposited onto the plaster. Not sure of any easy way to help out with that. It could be a long road. Please put up a full set of tests so we can see the big picture. Also, use the pool math with your current test levels and tell us what the CSI is. The CSI is towards the bottom of pool math page.

3. Calcium deposits on the tiles can be removed with a pumice stone. Get a lot of elbow grease to put on your elbow. There "may" be some magic cures on the market, but could not guarantee any would work.

that is a gorgeous pool and view you have there!

Hi
from this AM
FC6
CC0
pH7.8
TA80
CH240
CYA30
CSI 0.21
BUT
this pool was built in 1979 and who knows what transpired during those 32 years
also
my management during the first year or so was less than perfect but all of this was present on our arrival so unlikely due to the present condition
however
if I could alter something to reverse / dissolve / make no worse some of this would be nice''

thank you

1. Reattach slate...simple enough. That's gonna' require advice from tile people.

2. You have to identify what the "other stuff" is before you can make any decisions on it. Sounds like you need a plaster guy.

3. See #2 above

None of these issues seem like pool chemistry issues. It seems like you need some professional help for your renovation.

Numbers arent too bad. Sorta surprises me. I expected your CH to be real high, but its not.
duraleigh may be right (he pretty much always is), unless the stains are organic or metal, there may not be much to do except a replaster.
If that plaster is the original, then its acually wayyy past its typical life expectency.

Hi
from this AM
FC6
CC0
pH7.8
TA80
CH240
CYA30
CSI 0.21
BUT
this pool was built in 1979 and who knows what transpired during those 32 years
also
my management during the first year or so was less than perfect but all of this was present on our arrival so unlikely due to the present condition
however
if I could alter something to reverse / dissolve / make no worse some of this would be nice''

thank you

Did the scrub with chlorine tab. Not much change. I guess a little lighter but no more than scrubbing with a brush.
Now on to vit C but gotta get some.
But will explore replaster as well.

Did the vitamin C test. Did not do much. Seems the stain is neither organic or metal. I guess calcium. Found out pool was last re-plastered 20 years ago so I guess is time. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.