Pump loses prime when skimmer is on.

Jun 26, 2014
Lexington, KY
I have an inground pool. When vacuuming it recently, it quit picking up debris. I've had this happen in the past and used a 'bladder' to push out anything clogging the line. This time, it didn't work. In fact, after I inserted the bladder at the pump basket, water did not come out of the skimmer hole. Or at least very little water. Which means what? When I turn off the skimmer, the main drain continue to function without any loss of pressure - no bubbles, etc. If I turn on the skimmer line, it quickly loses total prime. And with the skimmer alone turned on, no prime. Any suggestions? I don't see any cracks in the skimmer itself but the line is buried under concrete... We are considering digging around the skimmer but if there is a break somewhere else, it seems pointless. Love all your comments - there's a great deal of history and knowledge here. Wish I'd had it when we bought this house 18 years ago!

Re: Cracked return lines... bypass in place... but need help!

Topic merged back into your existing topic. JasonLion

I'm having trouble with my skimmer/line and wondered if you have to run the line where it was originally placed under the cement. Did you remove all the deck where the line ran? Does the cement protect it from severe freezes? We live in Kentucky and had a bad winter this year. Are there any schematics I could find that show how the skimmer line is connected to the main drain, etc.? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.