Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recessed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recessed?

My pool light looks a lot like this:

Unfortunately the top screw is badly stripped and I can't get it out. I am trying to remove it to find any signs of algae that is sucking up my chlorine. I don't want to drain the pool as I literally just did that to lower my CYA, refilled and have used almost $100 worth of chlorine SLAMing. The screw is recessed into the plastic about 1/2" so I can't get vice grips inside to try and grab the screw head.

Any ideas on what I can do?
    ~21,000 gal, IG Vinyl w/Liner, Hayward Pro-Grid DE2420 DE filter, Built: ~2002, manual vacuum, K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recesse

Someone recently used a pneumatic driver under the water to do something similar .....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recesse

Get a "screw extractor" at home depot or Lowes. They often work. Never used one on a pool light screw.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Google it. You will get lots of ideas. One is to try stretching a rubber band over he screwdriver tip. Another is simply use a different type screwdriver. An easy-out/screw extractor was DH's first thought.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!