Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is for the birds

1. Back To Top    #1

This is for the birds

I figured I'd try a post here because I don't know where else to turn. I live on Long Island and my pool is in the center of my wide open backyard. The yard is surrounded by tall trees and most have a large number of birds living in them. Over the last few weeks there has been an absurd amount of bird poop in and around my pool. I've spent a good amount of time watching the birds, and most of them are flying overhead and pooping mid flight, not landing in or near the pool. They seem to be aiming for the pool since there is no poop anywhere else in the yard.

Here's what I've tried and the results:
    1- Hanging shiny objects in trees and around the yard - Despite always believing birds were attracted to shiny objects, I tried this. Birds are attracted to shiny objects.
    2- Fake, motionless owl and hawk - the house came with the owl, I bought the hawk. We move them at least once a day. Birds poop on them at least once a day.
    3- Fishing line strung high above the pool - This seemed brilliant, I nearly fell off the ladder twice, the wind broke the line three times, the poops just kept on coming.

My neighbor has one of those stupid TerrorEyes balloons hanging near his pool, but he tells me it might as well be a bird feeder. I didn't even know what it was until I asked him if he was having a party he didn't invite me to, so that's how good it looks in his yard.

I'm sure someone will tell me to start shooting them with a pellet gun. I made that joke too, except A- they rarely land in the yard and good luck taking out a sparrow mid flight, B- I really don't want to start killing things and C- there are dozens, if not hundreds of birds involved and I'm pretty sure people call the cops if you kill that many animals.

Any suggestions within reason would be very welcome. I'm getting sick of scooping poop out of the pool and getting concerned it will get us sick.
    20x40 32k IG vinyl, Hayward MicroClear DE filter, Sta-Rite IntelliPro 3 HP VS Pump, AutoPilot digital SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This is for the birds

I have border collies. Birds that come near the pool end up like John Cleese's parrot.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I have border collies. Birds that come near the pool end up like John Cleese's parrot.
    Hahahahaha. Oh I needed that.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

place a blow up alligator in your pool and a dog will chase birds away, my Cairn Terrier has caught 2 this year.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've seen the alligator thing as well. This is New York and I don't see how an alligator would be any more effective than a sailboat given our lack of alligators. Although I'm willing to try just about anything that doesn't make my backyard look like the inside of a taxi.