What is the purpose of the Air Bleed Filter screen for a filter?

patrick3229

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 2, 2012
I have a customer who installed 2 FNS Plus Vertical Grid D.E. filters last year and when they started them up this year the air bleed assembly with filter screen came loose in both filters and was bouncing around inside the filter.

Do you have any ideas why this part may have came loose from the filter. The screen at the top was completely torn up when we fished it out of the filter.

I have also noticed on many filter that the filter screen on the air bleed gets torn up and damaged pretty quick and honestly I'm not really sure of the purpose of the air bleed filter screen. Can anyone educate me on this? Thanks! (I have added a few pictures of the part in question)

Attachments

• 14-295-1046_XL.jpg
    14-295-1046_XL.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 14-110-1514(2)_XL.jpg
    14-110-1514(2)_XL.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 98
The tube allows air to easily pass from the top of the filter out of the filter return. Without it, the air would accumulate in the top of the filter and since air is compressible, would release violently when the pump is turned off and could blow out the pump lid or skimmer. The screen prevents debris from clogging the tube so it remains functional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.