Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal Stains

I'm using a Taylor test kit to test my water, I've read most of the library of topics presented here. My levels are normal across the board except I'm working on increasing my CH now. I used stain free which totally removed the stains from the steps and vinyl side of my pool. I was very happy, I thought I was on top of the metal issue. But it rained and my ph increased from 7.4 to 7.8. I worked on decreasing that when I noticed the metal stains returning. I thought using stain free and putting cu-lator (one in each skimmer), would collect the metal ions and the metal would be gone. Is there another way? If my only option is to continue to purchase ascorbic acid is their a less expensive version of this and I will just add it as needed.

Stephen
    28,0000 gal, IG, vinyl, chlorine, 1.5 hp jacuzzi, jacuzzi sand filter, built 2003
    Stephen
    28,000 IG, vinyl, jacuzzi sand filter, 1.5 hp jacuzzi pump, chlorine, built 2003

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal Stains

Vitamin C dissolves the metal into solution, but it doesn't remove it.

What you need is a sequestrant. The preferred ones are mentioned in this article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...d-metal-stains

What you don't need is Calcium. Your vinyl liner is in no danger of plaster etching, so save the expense.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I did read that, am I understanding this correctly. The sequestrant will eventually break down, allowing the metals to re deposit. So since I have metals, (I think iron), I should use a maintenance dose of sequestrant?
    Also are you saying I shouldn't treat my CH which was 80. Thanks for your advice, what a wonderful site.
    Stephen
    28,000 IG, vinyl, jacuzzi sand filter, 1.5 hp jacuzzi pump, chlorine, built 2003

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. Think of sequestrant as the hard candy shell on an M&M. The two alternatives are drain and refill with metal-free water or use sequestrant on a regular basis.

And I wouldn't spend money on Calcium my pool didn't need. It probably won't hurt anything, but the money could be better spent on sequestrant.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!