Metal Stains

Jun 13, 2014
Clarksville, TN
I'm using a Taylor test kit to test my water, I've read most of the library of topics presented here. My levels are normal across the board except I'm working on increasing my CH now. I used stain free which totally removed the stains from the steps and vinyl side of my pool. I was very happy, I thought I was on top of the metal issue. But it rained and my ph increased from 7.4 to 7.8. I worked on decreasing that when I noticed the metal stains returning. I thought using stain free and putting cu-lator (one in each skimmer), would collect the metal ions and the metal would be gone. Is there another way? If my only option is to continue to purchase ascorbic acid is their a less expensive version of this and I will just add it as needed.

Stephen
28,0000 gal, IG, vinyl, chlorine, 1.5 hp jacuzzi, jacuzzi sand filter, built 2003

Thanks I did read that, am I understanding this correctly. The sequestrant will eventually break down, allowing the metals to re deposit. So since I have metals, (I think iron), I should use a maintenance dose of sequestrant?
Also are you saying I shouldn't treat my CH which was 80. Thanks for your advice, what a wonderful site.

Yes. Think of sequestrant as the hard candy shell on an M&M. The two alternatives are drain and refill with metal-free water or use sequestrant on a regular basis.

And I wouldn't spend money on Calcium my pool didn't need. It probably won't hurt anything, but the money could be better spent on sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.