Time for a new pool filter?

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have a 20 x 40, 33k gal in-ground gunite pool and the sand filter is one of those meteor types with a Pacfab 8 position multiport valve which appears to be leaking. I cleaned and relubricated the seal, but it still leaks a little and it's not filtering all that great anymore. I'm thinking it is time to replace the filter and I'm considering getting the Pentair Quad DE 60. I have a 1 hp Hayward Superpump and 1.5" lines. Will this be a good filter for my pool? Do I just need to disconnect the inlet, outlet and backwash pipes and reconnect them to the new multiport valve? Thanks for any tips!

Also, for anyone with a pool heater, the company who recently started up my pool after a replaster appears to have adjusted the gas heater external bypass valve and the water line coming from the heater was cool to the touch with the heater running for about an hour. I'm thinking too much water is flowing to the heater, so I adjusted the valve a little to send more of the water through the bypass until I felt the outlet pipe get warm. Is this the correct way to adjust the bypass valve? It seems if I open the valve too much, the heater is starved for flow and wants to shut down, and if I close it too much, the water coming out is not hot enough.

Thanks!

I can't help you with the heater. I took mine off and took it to the recycle yard for scrap.

I'm not familiar with your valve, mine is also a Pac Fab but it's the 2 position plunger style. For mine, I can buy new O-rings and fix it, you may be able to do the same.

I'm going to wait for a filtering expert to show up, but it seems to me that any of the Meteor sand filters are going to be way too small for a 33,000 gallon pool. In fact, for a 33k pool, I'd recommend the same filter I have, the Triton 600 lb. Can you post the specs on the filter you currently have? Being it is labeled Pac Fab, it's going to be fairly old by the way. They were bought by Pentair a while back.

I'm by no means an expert, but for what it's worth, my pool is just about the same size as yours and my Hayward EC65A does the trick nicely. Had a tough green algae bloom at the beginning of last season because of poor closing by the previous homeowner and it cleaned it up in about two days, give or take. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.