Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swim Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Swim Shock

Greetings, Im a new poster. Presently my pool is clear, Ive ordered the TF100 test kit. Excited to keep the pool clear all summer. I was searching for a location near me to purchase liquid chlorine to have on hand for days when the SWG doenst keep up while Im trying to figure out the proper settings. I found a product called swim shock liquid chlorine at Menards on sale for 2.49. Is this the proper stuff?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swim Shock

Yes, many people have stocked up on that stuff. Once a year they have it for Buy one Get one free so it comes out to two jugs for 3.99. The sale this year was April 27 thru May 11. Keep an eye for it next year.

Anything that says active ingredient is Sodium Hyperchlorite is the right stuff. The strength is the variable that changes. Bleach is mostly 6% and 8.25% and chlorine usually 10% or 12.5%. I'm very familiar with Menards Swim shock, 128oz jug of 12.5%
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott, Thank you much. Will be picking some up, and will try to remember the 2 for 1 sale in the spring.
    16,000 gallon AG (Appox 12 years old) Vinyl (Replaced 2013)
    Aqua Trol SWG (Replaced May 2014) Hayward Sand Filter Pro Series (Replaced Sand and Laterals 2012)
    Hayward VariFlo (replaced 2014) Waterway 1.5 Hp SPL motor (2 speed?) replaced 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I probably should not say "anything" that is sodium hyperchlorite is the right stuff. There is bad stuff like splashless bleach, outdoor bleach, and scented bleach that I'm really not sure what the listed ingredients are, but they should NOT be used. Plain bleach and liquid chlorine, liquid shock are the common names for what your looking for.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump