New Pebble Fina Concern

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

I just had my pool refinished a few weeks ago with Bella Blue Pebble Fina. We followed the start-up procedures perfectly...keeping the water balanced and brushing 3-4 times a day, but the pool still has very noticeable white blotches and streaks pretty much everywhere. There are also very small hair-line cracks on the top step, which I guess was the last to get the water upon filling. While the pool looks pretty good from afar with the pump running and the sun in the sky, it becomes really noticeable in the evenings or when the pump is off. The pool plastering company said this is normal and to keep brushing and try to keep the PH on the low end (around 7.0-7.2) and the alkalinity near 70. I sent a few e-mail and left a message to Pebbletec, but have not heard back from them. Since I'm not an expert on Pebble finished, I wanted an expert to come out and take a look.

Should I be concerned at this point?

We had ours redone a few years ago and we went with the pebble instead of the pebble tina because I was concerned about the blotchiness I had seen in other pebble fina pools. The sales guy did tell us that you notice the streaking and stains more in the pebble fina. I also think the blotchiness is common if you do a custom color where they have to mix it. I know we have a few areas where there are more dark pebbles and we have a few where there are just fewer exposed pebbles so it looks lighter. You really have to look for it though and I didn't even notice it until I started maintaining the pool myself. The first two pictures look OK to me....but the last one....is that corner where they had to smooth it out? If you are really bothered by it, I would call the company that did and have them come out and take a look at it. Again, I think it's one of those things where we as the owners really look for perfection but when you have people over all they see is a beautiful pool Can you take another picture where it's just the entire pool?

Well, it's been two years since we had our pool resurfaced and there are still issues with the mottling. Here is a Youtube clip which will give you an idea of the visible trowel marks and uneven finish. It is mostly apparent when viewed in shady conditions:

Pebble Fina

I've contacted Pebbletec and David Cooke Plaster to see if anything can be done about the appearance. I'm thinking an acid wash might help, but not sure. has anyone had a recent plaster job which came out with this much mottling? Would you be happy with this level of variation?

Any new info on pebble tec fina out there? Trying to decide on Fina or just white plaster when they put our new pool in soon! Also if fina it would be Cielo,Bella or Grigio. Little worried about the dark Grigio on the shelf looks but love the color water. Also going darker Grigio streaking and making the water to warm in summer!

Any new info on pebble tec fina out there? Trying to decide on Fina or just white plaster when they put our new pool in soon! Also if fina it would be Cielo,Bella or Grigio. Little worried about the dark Grigio on the shelf looks but love the color water. Also going darker Grigio streaking and making the water to warm in summer!

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the cielo instead of the bella so as to avoid the mottled appearance. Also, when they do the hot start, make sure they don't pour the acid down the sides of the pool. Acid is heavier than water and it can settle and pit/discolor the curing surface. It should be slowly added in front of a pump jet so that it disperses evenly.

Hi All,

I just had my pool refinished a few weeks ago with Bella Blue Pebble Fina. We followed the start-up procedures perfectly...keeping the water balanced and brushing 3-4 times a day, but the pool still has very noticeable white blotches and streaks pretty much everywhere. There are also very small hair-line cracks on the top step, which I guess was the last to get the water upon filling. While the pool looks pretty good from afar with the pump running and the sun in the sky, it becomes really noticeable in the evenings or when the pump is off. The pool plastering company said this is normal and to keep brushing and try to keep the PH on the low end (around 7.0-7.2) and the alkalinity near 70. I sent a few e-mail and left a message to Pebbletec, but have not heard back from them. Since I'm not an expert on Pebble finished, I wanted an expert to come out and take a look.

Should I be concerned at this point?
How did your Fina Bella Blue turn out? I have to let my builder know the finish very soon, and without being able to go and view them, and having heard from him that Fina is more problematic than Sheen, I am unsure what to do. He is a huge Pebbletec Sheen fan, but I don't like the darker colors or the pebbles throwing light around (and I want a smooth surface). Fina Bella Blue is the only PebbleTec color I really like (just from what i have seen on their app, really), but he says that it will likely get hazy and need to be acid washed and drained within the first couple of years, and that it will not last as long as Sheen. Do you have any photos of your color that you could share? Did you ever resolve your issue? How do you feel about the texture? Thank you so much!

We have just std pebbletec and it’s smooth due to the rounded pebbles so I wouldn't worry About roughness. As to the fina vs. sheen, those pics of the fina look terrible. If it were me I’d go with your builders recco and do the sheen. I don’t ever recall anyone having blotching or streaking issues with that product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did your Fina Bella Blue turn out? I have to let my builder know the finish very soon, and without being able to go and view them, and having heard from him that Fina is more problematic than Sheen, I am unsure what to do. He is a huge Pebbletec Sheen fan, but I don't like the darker colors or the pebbles throwing light around (and I want a smooth surface). Fina Bella Blue is the only PebbleTec color I really like (just from what i have seen on their app, really), but he says that it will likely get hazy and need to be acid washed and drained within the first couple of years, and that it will not last as long as Sheen. Do you have any photos of your color that you could share? Did you ever resolve your issue? How do you feel about the texture? Thank you so much!

The mottling is more visible in the shade and is really unnoticeable in bright sunlight. The light and dark spots have blended more over the years. The feel of Fina is great, but if I were to do it over again, I’d go with the cielo blue.

Reactions: cgtx
The mottling is more visible in the shade and is really unnoticeable in bright sunlight. The light and dark spots have blended more over the years. The feel of Fina is great, but if I were to do it over again, I’d go with the cielo blue.
Thank you so much for being kind enough to spend time replying to me in this old thread. And thank you for adding your thoughts on what you would change. I’ve definitely realized I need to choose the coloring I really want and not what my builder suggests, which is the more crystal clear Caribbean water, which in Sheen would be White Diamonds and Arctic White, and Fina would only be Cielo. So glad your issues have dissipated and become less stressful over time. :))))

Thank you so much for being kind enough to spend time replying to me in this old thread. And thank you for adding your thoughts on what you would change. I’ve definitely realized I need to choose the coloring I really want and not what my builder suggests, which is the more crystal clear Caribbean water, which in Sheen would be White Diamonds and Arctic White, and Fina would only be Cielo. So glad your issues have dissipated and become less stressful over time. :))))
Hi there, cgtx. I was curious what you ended up choosing? I am planning on Pebble Fina Grigio. My pool builder doesn't have any Pebble Fina pools for me to see, since they just started carrying Pebble Tec products. Were you able to find some Pebble Fina pools to see in Austin? Thanks!

Hi there, cgtx. I was curious what you ended up choosing? I am planning on Pebble Fina Grigio. My pool builder doesn't have any Pebble Fina pools for me to see, since they just started carrying Pebble Tec products. Were you able to find some Pebble Fina pools to see in Austin? Thanks!
@blondechica
Did you end up getting pebble fina installed? what color did you end up with and would you mind posting some pictures? i'm trying to decide between grigio or classico VS a traditional white plaster pool and am wondering how the finish is holding up with the pebblefina product. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.