Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pebble Fina Concern

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pebble Fina Concern

Hi All,

I just had my pool refinished a few weeks ago with Bella Blue Pebble Fina. We followed the start-up procedures perfectly...keeping the water balanced and brushing 3-4 times a day, but the pool still has very noticeable white blotches and streaks pretty much everywhere. There are also very small hair-line cracks on the top step, which I guess was the last to get the water upon filling. While the pool looks pretty good from afar with the pump running and the sun in the sky, it becomes really noticeable in the evenings or when the pump is off. The pool plastering company said this is normal and to keep brushing and try to keep the PH on the low end (around 7.0-7.2) and the alkalinity near 70. I sent a few e-mail and left a message to Pebbletec, but have not heard back from them. Since I'm not an expert on Pebble finished, I wanted an expert to come out and take a look.

Should I be concerned at this point?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pebble Fina Concern

Attached are a few photos. This was in the evening with absolutely clear sky...those lighter areas are not clouds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

We had ours redone a few years ago and we went with the pebble instead of the pebble tina because I was concerned about the blotchiness I had seen in other pebble fina pools. The sales guy did tell us that you notice the streaking and stains more in the pebble fina. I also think the blotchiness is common if you do a custom color where they have to mix it. I know we have a few areas where there are more dark pebbles and we have a few where there are just fewer exposed pebbles so it looks lighter. You really have to look for it though and I didn't even notice it until I started maintaining the pool myself. The first two pictures look OK to me....but the last one....is that corner where they had to smooth it out? If you are really bothered by it, I would call the company that did and have them come out and take a look at it. Again, I think it's one of those things where we as the owners really look for perfection but when you have people over all they see is a beautiful pool Can you take another picture where it's just the entire pool?
    18K Gallon in-ground pebble-tec. Cartridge filter with 1 1/2 hp pump, and a 3/4hp booster for the polaris.

4. Back To Top    #4

Read this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Turns-Blotchy

Although this write-up is mainly about white pool plaster, the same mechanics (or plastering mistakes) can result in white streaking in dark colored plaster too, including quartz finishes like yours.

Also read this post, as it may apply to your pool too: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Pool-Finishes

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, it's been two years since we had our pool resurfaced and there are still issues with the mottling. Here is a Youtube clip which will give you an idea of the visible trowel marks and uneven finish. It is mostly apparent when viewed in shady conditions:

Pebble Fina

I've contacted Pebbletec and David Cooke Plaster to see if anything can be done about the appearance. I'm thinking an acid wash might help, but not sure. has anyone had a recent plaster job which came out with this much mottling? Would you be happy with this level of variation?
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?