Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump running time.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump running time.

I first off want to say hi to everyone and thanks for this website. There is so much useful information in this site. I am a first time inground pool owner. I have had multiple above ground pools though. My question is I have a Pentair Intelliflow variable speed pump. Right now it set up to run at 2450 rpm for 10 hours a day. I'm wondering if I could get away with a lower RPM for a longer period. If I could run it about 1500 RPM for 24 hours a day I would save approximately 5000 watts a day. What are your thoughts on how long to run this pool and what RPM? Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to help with.
    18x36 ft in ground vinyl liner pool Approximately 27000 gal. Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump with Hayward sand filter and Hayward Aquarite Salt System with T-15 Cell. K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump running time.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Check out this article from Pool School and post back if you still have questions: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Many variables are involved in how long you need your pump to run, but realistically you only need the minimum amount of time to filter the water and keep it clear and circulate any chemicals. You don't show a SWCG in your signature, so you don't have that variable to add to the mix. You will probably need to experiment with speeds and run time before you can dial in what your specific pool needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Check out this article from Pool School and post back if you still have questions: Determine Pump Run Time
    oops, I forgot about that article.......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you I was looking through pool school before posting but I couldn't find that. Thanks again!!
    18x36 ft in ground vinyl liner pool Approximately 27000 gal. Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump with Hayward sand filter and Hayward Aquarite Salt System with T-15 Cell. K-2006 Test Kit