Pump Repair Question

Feb 26, 2012
So I have a Hayward Super 2 Pump (3/4 HP) strictly used for our small waterfall. The pump hasn't been working.

I wanted to ask you all from a DIY standpoint would it be easier to replace the motor or the entire pump? I know the motor would be cheaper but both options are cheaper than paying a pool company to come replace the motor ($450).

As I have read when you replace the motor there are seals and gaskets etc... that should also be replaced.

Just looking for peoples experience that have done either or themselves.

Thanks

Replacing the motor just requires the shaft seal. And if you only replace the motor, then there should not be any need for any plumbing work which might be required if you replace the entire pump (depending on how it is plumbed).

You probably don't need the pump at all. You can just tie it into the returns and use the flow from your main pump.

If you do want a dedicated pump for the waterfall, I don't think that the Super II is the best choice. The Super II is designed for higher pressure applications. When used for a low pressure application, such as a waterfall, the pump won't be at a good place on its head curve. It will be noisy and inefficient.

I think that a pump designed for waterfalls would be a better choice. Waterfall pumps are designed for low pressure and high flow. They will be quieter and more efficient.

Can you describe the waterfall?

James, Jlizzle,
Thank you very much for the feedback. The waterfall is a small-med. moss rock water fall. Not sure how much water is puts out or anything.

The original pump when it was built was the Hayward Super 2 3/4 HP. I've decided to keep the same pump and after a few youtube videos on how to replace the motor i've elected to go in that direction, for the primary reason of, if I do that and I do it myself then it will cost about $150. A new pump is about $400 and if I pay someone to change the motor it would be $450 and if they put in a new pump about $900. So I went with the cheaper option...I may regret it but it's worth the $150 to see if I can figure it out. Wish me luck!

Just an update, I was able to replace the pump motor and all is working!

Not sure if we are allowed to give ant feedback on companies but my experience with inyopools was great. I ordered the pump and shaft seal from them for about $160 and they have great how-to-videos on youtube very detailed on how to do the motor and shaft seal replacement. Made it pretty simple even for a novice like me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.