Newbie with a big green hole in the back yard

Jun 26, 2014
Woodbridge, CT
Hello all. I am a complete pool newbie who has been thrown into the deep end of a 33,000 gallon gunite pool. The pool is currently green and up until an hour ago I was completely clueless blindly following the advice of the local pool store. I am very happy to find this information source and body of knowledge.

A quick history on how I ended up here. I purchased a short sale last July. I had no idea how long the pool had been closed. Upon pulling the cover, the only obvious course of action was a complete drain. I even found a car tire in the thing! After a line pressure test, a serious pressure washing and 33,000 gallons of water, I was feeling good until I noticed the water steadily drained. I had to keep topping it off every evening to keep the skimmer full. The pump also failed at the end of the season when the leaves were falling. I closed it with professional help as soon as possible and got most of the leaves out, but a small number remained upon closing.

I removed the cover 3 weeks ago and found the water level at the light cavity so I plugged it with butyl. I replaced the pump motor, seals and impeller. I then filled with well water (pool trucks are so expensive) and it has held! The bad news is the water is still green after 3 weeks of adding chlorine and non-stop filtering. I have also used the net on a pole to remove leaves from the deep end of the pool. I can see the bottom of the shallow end. I have also vacuumed and brushed the pool numerous times. I have power washed the filter cartridges countless times. I had the water tested numerous times at the pool supply store and each time they suggest I keep shocking it.

I am learning that the simple test strips showing high this, low that aren't sufficient to combat my algae problem and I'm tired of being an open wallet to the pool supply store. I am determined to get a handle on this pool.

I have ordered a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 and new filter cartridges. I know this will be a loaded question without necessarily knowing the chemical makeup of my water, but is there anything more I should do while waiting for the kit and filters? The pool is currently green, but I can see the bottom in the shallow end (about 4 feet deep).

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Pool specs
33,000 gallon gunite shaped pool
sta rite cartridge filter
Hayward 1.5HP
Hayward chlorinator

Attachments

• 10457744_10203289769298285_2266176072010371300_o.jpg
    10457744_10203289769298285_2266176072010371300_o.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 141
Welcome! :wave:

Keep dredging the bottom of the deep end for leaves. Not much else you can do except for dumping a gallon in every evening to keep it from getting worse. Once you get your test kit, run a full set of numbers and post them up and we'll help you get started on SLAMing Your Pool.

In the mean time, I offer you these Pool School Links to read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
PoolMath

You're going to kill the green beast and enjoy your pool this summer! :cool:

I have turned a corner and have the green monster on the run. It is no longer green, but instead a cloudy, powder blue. I have been flying blind a bit using only my test strips, but have made sure to keep feeding it copious amounts of chlorine. I'm sure I overshot, but felt it was better to do that then to let the monster take hold while waiting for the test kit.

I spent the better part of the day cleaning the filters again (I have been cleaning them daily) and vacuuming the algae corpses from the bottom of the pool. I have been vacuuming, brushing and cleaning the filter cartridges daily.

This morning, the filter kit did not arrive yet so I took a sample to the pool store to get it analyzed. They used test strips and machine to scan and read the results. Here is what they came up with.
TC - 10 (this is the max on their chart) it is likely much higher than that.
FC - 10 (again, this is the max on their chart)
pH - 7.7
TA - 80
CH - 250
CYA - 10

My test strips were showing similar results.

The Taylor test kit, new cartridge filters and a dolphin robot just arrived so I will take some measurements in a short while. Here is what the pool looks like now.

Last edited:
My test results are as follows
FC: 31
CC: 1
PH: 7
TA: 90
CH: 250 (fading endpoint encountered)
CYA <30

The low PH doesn't surprise me considered the pool store directed me to add 192oz of sodium bisulfite when I opened the pool.

So it looks like I need to make some adjustments, but I'm not sure of timing considering I'm still SLAMing.

Should I wait till I'm finished with the SLAM and my FC is at a more reasonable level and then check the PH again or should I add half of what is needed to reach my target?
I plan to finish the SLAM with my old filter cartridges so I will be vacuuming and cleaning my cartridges daily which will yield a small amount of water loss. I have plenty of stabilizer on hand.
Should I target CYA of 30 considering my pool is heavily shaded by big trees on 3 sides and a house on the other?

Continue the SLAM. For now, you do not have to test or adjust ANYTHING except FC which should be kept up around 12 ppm or so AT ALL TIMES.

There is a lot involved in the SLAM (brushing, cleaning the filter, backwash, etc) so make sure you stay up with thos but, most importantly, keep your FC up at SLAM value and your pool will clear.

The last part of the SLAM is the OCLT which you should only do after your water is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool leaks again. Adding additional water will throw things off a bit, but I'll eventually get it sorted. I think all the vigorous scrubbing jostled the butyl loose in the light cavity. I'll search for others that may have had a similar issue.

At least the water is sparkling now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.