need help with return jet direction

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a kidney shaped pool with the skimmer centered on the straight side and an eyeball return on either side of it. I also have two returns on the steps which are located at one end. Originally they were the whirlpool kind (connected to air pipe) but that was later disconnected and converted into regular eyeball ones. No returns on the curved side. There are two main drains in the deep end.

I've been trying to find a configuration similar to mine to determine the proper direction but haven't had any luck. I've also read conflicting info on whether to point them down or parallel to water.
Thanks!

Pointing them down towards the bottom is ideal as it would keep the water moving and prevent dead spots. The idea is to get the water moving in a circle as best you can, past the skimmer so it can skim the top of the water.

Pointing them down towards the bottom is ideal as it would keep the water moving and prevent dead spots. The idea is to get the water moving in a circle as best you can, past the skimmer so it can skim the top of the water.

I have a similar configuration as the OP, and I've had my returns set up to create a circular flow ever since the pool was opened. I run the pump at low speed for most of the day, and then I run at high-speed for about an hour every afternoon after our usual late-afternoon winds.

I've never been completely satisfied, as the circular flow tends to cause leaves to fly past my skimmer rather than into it.

I recently adjusted one of my returns to point directly towards the skimmer. I still get a circular flow, but I also get a "cross-flow" that pushes debris directly into my skimmer.

I've found this configuration to be much more effective. After a week, I rarely see any surface debris, even before my daily "high-speed" skimming.

I just got my pool on Thursday.. My jet must sorta be pointed up because it breaks the water a little bit.. I tried to "turn" the dial thing but it doesn't seem to budge.. Are their pools that have a jet that doesn't move at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.