Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help with return jet direction

1. Back To Top    #1

need help with return jet direction

I have a kidney shaped pool with the skimmer centered on the straight side and an eyeball return on either side of it. I also have two returns on the steps which are located at one end. Originally they were the whirlpool kind (connected to air pipe) but that was later disconnected and converted into regular eyeball ones. No returns on the curved side. There are two main drains in the deep end.

I've been trying to find a configuration similar to mine to determine the proper direction but haven't had any luck. I've also read conflicting info on whether to point them down or parallel to water.
    Thanks!
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help with return jet direction

Pointing them down towards the bottom is ideal as it would keep the water moving and prevent dead spots. The idea is to get the water moving in a circle as best you can, past the skimmer so it can skim the top of the water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks. I will give that a try!
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Pointing them down towards the bottom is ideal as it would keep the water moving and prevent dead spots. The idea is to get the water moving in a circle as best you can, past the skimmer so it can skim the top of the water.
    I have a similar configuration as the OP, and I've had my returns set up to create a circular flow ever since the pool was opened. I run the pump at low speed for most of the day, and then I run at high-speed for about an hour every afternoon after our usual late-afternoon winds.

I've never been completely satisfied, as the circular flow tends to cause leaves to fly past my skimmer rather than into it.

I recently adjusted one of my returns to point directly towards the skimmer. I still get a circular flow, but I also get a "cross-flow" that pushes debris directly into my skimmer.

I've found this configuration to be much more effective. After a week, I rarely see any surface debris, even before my daily "high-speed" skimming.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got my pool on Thursday.. My jet must sorta be pointed up because it breaks the water a little bit.. I tried to "turn" the dial thing but it doesn't seem to budge.. Are their pools that have a jet that doesn't move at all?
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514