Raccon poop in pool

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
So, this morning i found a few large pieces of poop in my pool near the steps. I was solid but some parts disintegrated into dusty, nasty.....yuk! I was going to bring my FC level up to 40% of the 60ppm of CYA in the pool. Which comes out to 24pp of FC for 24 hrs and a PH of 7.5 or less. I got all this info from other threads.

The CDC recommends to throw away the filter grids and replace the water if testing of Baylisascaris in the raccoon poop is not possible. I called my local animal control like the cdc recommends and they do not do this type of test.

Any suggestions?

Well, I dont know if it was a raccoon. But the poop is largish like a raccoon or possum. I have seen a possum on my fence one a few months ago. Here is what i read...http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/pools/animals/raccoons-and-pools.html

How do I clean my pool if it has been contaminated with Baylisascaris?

Because Baylisascaris eggs are particularly tough, adding chlorine to the water will not kill them. If a lab test has confirmed that the raccoon was infected with Baylisascaris or you don’t know if the raccoon was infected because the raccoon’s feces were not tested, there are two options for cleaning your pool.

*Remember to close the pool to swimmers until you have finished cleaning the pool.

Option 1:

Filter the pool for a minimum of 24 hours and then backwash the pool filter.
Put on disposable gloves to replace the material doing the filtering (if possible). Double bag the discarded material in plastic garbage bags. Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

Option 2:

Backwash the pool filter.
Drain and hose down the pool.
Put on disposable gloves to replace the material doing the filtering (if possible). Double bag the discarded material in plastic garbage bags. Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards
Refill the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Great Idea I will check with some vets

Nothing a well placed broad head with a small game tip couldn't handle. If a coon or other animal was going to cause all that trouble, I'd certainly go through the trouble of disposing of HIM in a double bagged garbage bag. He will be waiting for the garbage man, up the road.

Now... I'm just sayin... stay OUT of my pool.

I was thinking of putting some nails on some wood (maybe 2x4) and putting on the steps with the sharp end of the nail facing up. Any suggestions on if that will cuase any chemcial problems with the wood and metal nails?
Unless the nails are stainless steel (which is unusual), they will rust. Even galvanized nails will corrode with chlorine since they have a zinc coating on them. The wood will also break down from the water and the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.