Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raccon poop in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Raccon poop in pool

So, this morning i found a few large pieces of poop in my pool near the steps. I was solid but some parts disintegrated into dusty, nasty.....yuk! I was going to bring my FC level up to 40% of the 60ppm of CYA in the pool. Which comes out to 24pp of FC for 24 hrs and a PH of 7.5 or less. I got all this info from other threads.

The CDC recommends to throw away the filter grids and replace the water if testing of Baylisascaris in the raccoon poop is not possible. I called my local animal control like the cdc recommends and they do not do this type of test.

Any suggestions?
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raccon poop in pool

Well, are you sure it is raccoon poop? Here is some CKC info . I did not see anything useful on the site regarding Baylisacaris and chlorine. Hopefully Chem geek will have some more information to share on this problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You might call around to some vets and see if they can test the feces for worms too. Worth a shot.
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I dont know if it was a raccoon. But the poop is largish like a raccoon or possum. I have seen a possum on my fence one a few months ago. Here is what i read...http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...and-pools.html

How do I clean my pool if it has been contaminated with Baylisascaris?

Because Baylisascaris eggs are particularly tough, adding chlorine to the water will not kill them. If a lab test has confirmed that the raccoon was infected with Baylisascaris or you don’t know if the raccoon was infected because the raccoon’s feces were not tested, there are two options for cleaning your pool.

*Remember to close the pool to swimmers until you have finished cleaning the pool.

Option 1:

Filter the pool for a minimum of 24 hours and then backwash the pool filter.
    Put on disposable gloves to replace the material doing the filtering (if possible). Double bag the discarded material in plastic garbage bags. Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

Option 2:

Backwash the pool filter.
    Drain and hose down the pool.
    Put on disposable gloves to replace the material doing the filtering (if possible). Double bag the discarded material in plastic garbage bags. Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards
    Refill the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Great Idea I will check with some vets

5. Back To Top    #5

I was thinking of putting some nails on some wood (maybe 2x4) and putting on the steps with the sharp end of the nail facing up. Any suggestions on if that will cuase any chemcial problems with the wood and metal nails?

6. Back To Top    #6

This link from the CDC (the one that Consoleman found in an earlier post above) indicates that chlorine will not kill Baylisascaris eggs. It will likely filter out so read the instructions on the linked page (also copied in Consoleman's post).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Nothing a well placed broad head with a small game tip couldn't handle. If a coon or other animal was going to cause all that trouble, I'd certainly go through the trouble of disposing of HIM in a double bagged garbage bag. He will be waiting for the garbage man, up the road.

Now... I'm just sayin... stay OUT of my pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If you don't want to kill it, there are people that will come live trap it and take it to a new home way far away in the woods somewhere. Try a pest control place, or critter abatement, etc.
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by consoleman View Post
    I was thinking of putting some nails on some wood (maybe 2x4) and putting on the steps with the sharp end of the nail facing up. Any suggestions on if that will cuase any chemcial problems with the wood and metal nails?
    Unless the nails are stainless steel (which is unusual), they will rust. Even galvanized nails will corrode with chlorine since they have a zinc coating on them. The wood will also break down from the water and the chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"