Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge presssure????

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge presssure????

My filters are running at about 4-6 over starting pressure. But the return isn't that strong at all. When should I rinse filter off. Been doing it about every 2 hours and it is getting exhausting. I just feel that it is not pushing enough water through when it is 4-6 or even 2 PSI over normal starting pressure. I need that return pressure to keep the pool moving.
    AG 18' non- SWG pool (6900-7400 gallons), Hayward power -flo lx pump (1.5hp), swim pro cartridge filter model c100(single cart)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge presssure????

What is your starting pressure?
    Is that 4-6% or PSIG?
    You should clean the filter whenever the pressure rises about 25% above the clean pressure.
    It's very common when fighting algae to have to clean those filters a lot. Every hour is not unheard of.

P.S. It would be better if you kept all your issues in one thread.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My starting is 12psi
    AG 18' non- SWG pool (6900-7400 gallons), Hayward power -flo lx pump (1.5hp), swim pro cartridge filter model c100(single cart)

4. Back To Top    #4

It makes sense that your flow would be reduces at 16 to 18 psig if your starting pressure is 12psig.

I can tell a difference when my filter pressure goes up 3 psig.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you believe it is going up because my filter is getting clogged?

6. Back To Top    #6

The pressure is going up because your filter is collecting debris, just as it was designed to do. We recommend cleaning the filter any time the pressure goes up 25%, which would be 3 psi in this case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School