Water in...now what?

Hello all,
I have read pool school several times, I tested my water and put the results into the math calculator, but I am still a bit confused as to what to add first? The pool is currently finishing filling...I tested my full pool tap water and the results are: Ph 8.4, Free Chlorine 0, Total Alkalinity 180, Stabilizer between 30-50 and 100. I used a Aquacheck test strip. So what do I i add first? I have mini chlorine tablets and shock from the pool's previous owner. Thanks for helping out this "pool virgin".

Welcome Trudy,

The first thing you need to do this yourself aside from the knowledge you've been working on is a proper test kit. If you want to be accurate on all critical points it is essential. I only suggest the TF100 when a full kit is needed because it is the best value, no question.

I would adjust the pH in your case and Chlorine immediately after. I don't know what sort of shock you have, but it is likely Cal-Hypo, Trichlor, or Dichlor. If I knew your Calcium level, I would be more able to suggest what best to use. Not sure of the Cya (stabilizer) reading you posted, but it's really essential to know what it is. Again, a good kit can tell you all this, but strips cannot be depended on for these readings. Pool math will tell you how much you need of each product to get the FC you need, so just work around in it a little until you determine what that is. Adding either of the Chlorine products you have for the lon term will have adverse side effects.

Thanks Jason, that is what I thought after reading some info, but that is the color the strip turned :/ I will try to order a kit asap, but after the 500.00 pool, 300.00 sand and 170.00 liner, I am a bit tapped for pool finances at the moment... Any advice to get me going before I get the good test kit? Do I SHOCK first? Thanks for the help!!! Much appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

Emphasizing what the others have said, you will need a Good Test Kit. It really is that important! The amount of chlorine you need is dependent on the CYA (Stabilizer) level (see Chlorine CYA Chart). You described your current stabilizer level as "between 30-50 and 100" which is not precise enough. Equally puzzling is that you just filled your pool with tap water and your current test strips are giving you this reading. Tap water contains no CYA.

Until your test kit arrives, I would do the following: Use the PoolMath tool to help determine the proper dosage of chemicals.

1. Adjust your pH into the mid-7's. Use muriatic acid to lower the pH. I recommend using a measuring cup (one that will not be used in the kitchen) and slowly pour the acid in front of a return jet while the pump is running.
  2. Add enough granular stabilizer to get to 30 ppm. Look for a product that has between 95% - 100% cyanuric acid on the label. Place the product in a sock, tie the sock off, then place the sock in the skimmer. It will take several days to dissolve.
  3. Add between 2-3 ppm of chlorine using plain, unscented liquid bleach.
This will get you by in the short term. However, all bets are off if you go for weeks without a good test kit.

Ok, now I have a place to start on the chemicals...A couple questions on the filter and pump. OI have read about the settings etc. on my sand filter and skimmer. When you plug in and turn on to filter, does it just run on and off on its own all the time? Do you want it "on" all the time? I read a thread where someone said they cleaned until their pump ran out...does it overheat? shut off automatically?

Thanks for all the advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure your Ph is correct (7.4) before adding chlorine. If the Ph isn't correct your chlorine will not be affective. And then adjust your alkalinity after adding the acid as needed. Low alkalinity will make your Ph fluctuate.

Pros please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.