Pump appears to have died

Jul 5, 2008
We put in our pool ourselves last summer. Through this site I have learn much and been able to have the clearest pool for about a week since this adventure began. Now here's the new problem - our pump (hayward 1 1/2 HP) begin making a horrible loud noise. My husband, after listening and listening, decided the bearings have gone bad. I have called around this morning and been told I have to buy a new pump. If that is true, then we will do that, but want to understand why and how this happened in order to avoid a repeat. Any ideals? One other thing my husband thought might have been part of the problem is he build a small wall behind the pump that would impede the venilation for the pump. Would that have caused this? Anyway, thanks!

If it is the bearings, they can be replaced, and replacing just the motor is also a possibility. But it would be good to do some additional troubleshooting first.

Have you looked at the impeller, under the strainer basket, to see if there is anything trapped in there that might be bouncing around?

Since I just went through this what I found is that most pump motors these days are very cheaply made. Hayward as well as many others use AO Smith motors. They used to be made in Mexico and were moved to China and quality has suffered. My last Mexican made AO Smith lasted about 4 years. A large pool distributor told me they get back AO Smith motors all the time and only to expect a year or 2 out of one these days. I bit the bullet and invested in a Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050 (4x160). The pump will cost you double a Hayward but not only does it use a completely sealed motor with a 10 year life expectancy (at least that's what they are saying now), but since you can use lower speeds you can save a considerable amount of money on electricity. Depending on your pool specifics, you can save anywhere from 30-80% on average per month. For many, this is a 1 to 2 year payback plus the better quality in general. I've only had mine in place for a week, but really like it so far. It is very quiet and cool running. I could actually hold my hand directly on the motor while running (after hours of running). If I dared try that with my Hayward I would leave my skin behind on the pump.

So I guess I would say if you can very inexpensively repair it then its probably worth it, but if considering a new motor or pump, give the Intelliflo serious consideration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.