Beginners question

Get the big kit then, imo. You may want to know TA at some point. I always just order from TfTest Kits, but as long as you know the Taylor one has the FAS-DPD, it will be fine. If you have some extra money, get a speed stir. I got it year two and really wish I had gotten it day one.

So put the Stabilizer in a cotton sock. Tie it to the frame and let it hang near the return. Periodically go by and squish it with your hand to help it bleed/dissolve into the water. You'll see a cloud come out into the water - that's what you want, not the crystals being pushed through the sock. What type of pump do you have - cartridge or sand? If sand, try not to backwash until the CYA is all fully dissolved. Also, add the amount per Pool Math calculator and once it is dissolved, be sure to target your chlorine based on the CYA value you added. The CYA won't show up on a test for a week or so, but it will begin doing its job right away. It is safe to have the sock in the water when you are swimming - but again, if you have little kids I personally would not have them in there with a sock full unless they are old enough to leave it alone.

Per Richard's post, I think you can assume zero. Or you can use the calculator to see what you have - down toward the bottom is a section that says "Effects of Adding Chemicals." Plug in what you added in terms of pucks there - again, i have never used or seen a puck so I can't help here.

As I understand it liquid is just more expensive. If my local stores sold it, i'd buy liquid, but it isn't any "better" than granular -- I think it shows up on the CYA test right away instead of having to wait a week to double check you hit your target. Either form of stabilize is fine.

I put 25 oz. of stabilizer per pool calculator in a sock this afternoon. I couldn't find it at Walmart so I had to go to a pool store. The owner yelled at me when I told him I was pouring bleach in it. He was a very rude person. He also yelled when I told him I needed to add a bit or borax into it. He said I should only use test strips also and I was waisting my money with the drops tests. Oh well. I was just wanting to know if anyone has any comments about the pool guy?
Thanks you all.
Mike

I was just wanting to know if anyone has any comments about the pool guy?
Most of my comments would have to be removed by the mods :grrrr:
So my family-friendly comment is that guy is the embodiment of the stereotypical pool store owner: the only green he will help you get rid of is the kind in your pocket.

Don't add borax yet - get your test kit and see what your results are. As for pool stores, I've learned to just ask for what I need, thank them, and get on out of there. Most of the guys in our stores here (we only have two now - one went out of business) know me by now and just get me what I need. To their credit, they have been pretty good on hardware stuff to do with the pool/equipment. Great job learning what you need to do for your pool! And, Donaldson, I love the "green" quip!

Yes the green bit was great. I only went the bit extra with the borax as he was so mad already. As a customer I can't imagine why he would treat me like that. He basically said I was stupid. He told me to use my head. I could go on and on what he said, but I'm sure most of you all have heard it in the past too. The test has been shipped so hopefully Saturday or Monday it will be here.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.