Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! SLAMing...yellow water and stains...

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! SLAMing...yellow water and stains...

I'm hoping for some help here. We've been SLAMing our pool for about 5-6 days now and the water has turned yellowish and it's actually staining my white steps and it looks like the liner as well. The water has cleared up tremendously though, it was black when we opened it. I've had it at shock level or above (my husband dumped 5 gallons of pool store chlorine in when he shouldn't had) for almost a week. The deep end is dark and I still can't see the bottom, I can see the shallow end though. When I brush the steps the yellow doesn't come off, so I know it's not mustard algae. I was thinking maybe I had the FC too high and it could've caused it? I noticed the yellow about 3-4 days ago. I'm posting my most recent test results below, I know my TA is a little low but I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The picture (It's not the best) is my steps from this morning, I just went out and they actually look darker yellow now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    31,500 gallon IG w/vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series S-244T Sand Filter w/ 1hp Hayward pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! SPAMing...yellow water and stains...

The yellow is almost certainly from iron in the water. You can confirm that it is iron by putting a vitamin c tablet on one of the yellow areas on the steps. If it clears up right where the vitamin c is, then it is certainly iron. Once you have confirmed that it is iron, you will want to start using a sequestrant to keep the iron from forming stains or coloring the water.

None of this changes the need to finish SLAMing the pool. The cloudiness isn't from iron, and needs to be dealt with first.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help! SPAMing...yellow water and stains...

Ok thank you. I'm going to go out tomorrow and get some vitamin c, I'll post back how it goes. Thanks again!
    31,500 gallon IG w/vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series S-244T Sand Filter w/ 1hp Hayward pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Help! SLAMing...yellow water and stains...

Ok the Viatmin C tablet worked! So now I will continue with the SLAM until the water meets the criteria of an algae free pool? Then go ahead to the AA treatment? Can we swim in between the two? I'd like to give the kids a few days before I tell them no pool again, thanks!
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, you can swim between the SLAM and the AA treatment - as long as the FC is below normal SLAM level and above minimum for the CYA level.

As an aside, if you can live with the stains for this swim season, I suggest you wait until the end of the season to do the AA treatment.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok awesome! I'm so grateful for this forum! Thank you
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

One more thing should I adjust my TA or is it ok?