Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas

pH issues

Not sure if I have a problem or not, but my MA consumption seems high to me.

Numbers from memory. TF-100
    FC 6.0
    CC 0.0
    TA 80
    CH 230
    PH 7.8+ Having to dose with approximately 12oz MA daily to get to 7.5
    CYA 70

The pool get full sun all day. I had to remove the only shade the pool was getting. Mesquite tree gumming up the pump way too many times.

The only aeration is from the SWG, all return jets are pointed down. The pool gets used by 1 - 2 adults for about 1 to 2 hours a day.

I know that new plaster can effect pH rise.

Is this normal?

What adjustments if any should I make?

I am considering an acid pump. Any suggested sources?

Thanks for the help. I have learned a lot from this site.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: pH issues

Your PH will be constantly going up because of the plaster for another 6 to 8 months. It is also going up because TA is a little higher than it could be with a SWG. Lowering TA just a little will help, but the PH is still going to go up due to the plaster. I suggest lowering PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8 until the TA is down to 60. Then go back to lowering to 7.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: pH issues

If that plaster is new this year, it sounds normal.

Also remember that any fill water you add to replace evaporation is going to likely be high TA and pH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!