Newbie: need advice on which chems to add first

Amarada3

Bronze Supporter
May 27, 2014
Jackson, TN
OK, pool has been up for about 10 days, looking good thanks to TFP. Been using dipstik guess strips (t100 ordered and on the way!!) and my fc has been good, but cya was 0 despite additions. I have been using bleach, cya granules and borax acc to pool school. So I took sample to leslie's and got this reading:
FC = 4
TAC = 4
CH = 20 (low)
CYA = 25 (low)
TA = 50 (low)
pH = 7.2
copper and iron and dissolved solids = 0
Phosphates = 100
temp 80 ish

Leslies says I need to address the TA first, then the cya. They were not concerned about the CH, said it was not as big a deal with my vinyl pool(?), and they were not concerned about the phosphates, but I am.

Pool calculator says add borax for pH, Baking soda for TA and of course more CYA in the sock. Should I do baking soda first since it may also help with pH? And then CYA and then see where pH is?

BTW: water looks and feels fantastic! I want to keep it that way!

Thank you for your help!!

Several levels need some minor adjustments, but nothing is seriously out of balance here. You are basically doing well.

CH is fine where it is. There is no need to add calcium to a vinyl liner pool.

Your TA is a little low, I'd raise TA to around 80 or 90.

Your CYA is a little low, I'd raise CYA to around 40 or 50.

Your PH is fine where it is. Raising TA will raise the PH just a little, raising CYA will lower the PH just a little. I suggest checking the PH again after doing both of those and see if it needs to be adjusted. If it goes below 7.2, raise it back up to anywhere between 7.2 and 7.5.

There is no reason to worry about phosphates. As long as you maintain an appropriate FC level phosphates don't matter.

I calculated the cya, using pool math, BUT I only put in 2/3 of what my calculation was and then tested (4, 6 and 7 days later). The dip stik never read ANY CYA, so I was worried about adding more until I had a firm number, thus the Leslie's test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.